question re (partial?) spraddle leg

Momo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Nelson BC
I have a one-week old Ameraucana chick with what I think is spraddle leg (I've never seen it before). He can stand and walk but is sort of cow hocked with his feet splayed out to the sides. For the last 4 days he's been wearing a bandaid hobble that I learned about from reading here, but he doesn't seem to be getting any better. He gets around reasonably well with the bandaid on but isn't gaining size as fast as the other chicks. He also keeps up a nearly constant sad sort of cheeping. I took the bandaid off today to see how he is without it and while his balance is better than before, his little legs just aren't properly underneath him. The chicks are on paper towel but as of today half of the brooder is shavings.

My question is this: do I hobble him again and leave it on longer, or do I leave him alone and see if his legs strengthen up? I'm a little confused because the info I found on spraddle leg indicated that once they're able to stand on their own you can take the hobble off.

I cull most of my birds (chicks)with spraddle, I just can't see them as adults running around like that.

But pics would help
smile.png

How far apart were its legs? I was told, and did successfully with my own, that you use the gauze part of the bandaid as the spacer. I left mine on for a week, but was told to let it fall off on its own.

What are you using for bedding in the brooder? I was using pine shavings when I noticed mine starting to get it, so I layed paper towels over top and they were fine except one and he grew out of it.

Thanks for the replies! Okay, this is my first try at uploading images:
7422_img_4287.jpg

7422_img_4288.jpg

He looks better now than he did this morning. The right leg is the weaker one and when he ran across the smooth floor toward me just now as I was trying to take his picture, it really went out to the side. He's still a little down on his hocks but not nearly as cow hocked as he was. I left the bandaid on for four days, using the gauze as the spacer, but it seemed too wide for this little guy. As for bedding, until today it was just paper towels but it was getting too pooey so currently it's half paper towels and half shavings.

He looks viable to me. He might not be my first choice as a roo prospect, but I think he will straighten up enough to get around until you eat, sell or place him in another home. (or her, oops) My mille fleur cochin cockerel was a little bit splay footed when he hatched. i did nothing and he straightened up on his own. So far he has hatched out one spraddle legged baby out of a half a dozen and I culled it. My mottled pullets are very vigorous, strong in so many ways that complement this roo and I want to keep each generation as strong and hardy and self reliant as I can. Anyhow, here is a side shot of my roo. Sorry I dont' have a front shot. Anyhow, his legs ended up perfectly straight.

mfcockereloct08.jpg

They dont look to bad from the pics, I would give him more time !!!! If his legs start to go out to the side bad I would splint them again !!!

Ohhh and he has a cute butt
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom