Question regarding adding geese

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
Alright I have 2 female Embem geese. I of course wished I had a boy and a girl but that didn't happen. I have read and also have heard the these girls won't bond with new geese I add to the flock. I wanted to get 2 ganders but now I am afraid to since they may not bond at all and the purpose is to have some fertile goose eggs to hatch.

Is what I am hearing and reading accurate? Is it ever possible for new boys to bond to my existing females?

Please help me! Thank you!

Lisa

They may or may not bond, or they may bond after a while.

From what I've heard, the only fool-proof way to get grown geese to bond with new geese is to get the new ones as goslings. Then their parental instincts will make them bond, and next year your new ganders will be part of the flock.

I'm no goose expert, I only read a lot about them, so let's hear a how-to from the real pros.

Not an ideal time as their territorys for breeding is now established. You could split the females into seperate pens out of sight from each other and if possible out of sound range! Leave for a week then introduce a gander. Try to leave one female in original pen as moving them can often put them off laying.

Pete

since I'm kinda new to geese I thought buying a set was the standard of ordering geese? I just ordered 3 m/f sets to get started with. do you think that's to much? of do you think its just to many Ganders?

I have one female emden mixed in among my roman tufted's, sebestolol and toulouse. I can honestly saying Emma the emden likes every goose out there whether its the ones in her immediate flock or the others in the second flock. She's friends with all of them. Can't say this would be the case with yours for sure but the females usually take to a male without too much problem. I agree that one gander would be fine for your two females.

Given enough space multiple ganders and geese can be maintained in the same flock. In my experience they will pair up and spend time seperate from the "flock" during the breeding season. Once the goslings are hatched they will rejoin the flock and raise the goslings in the flock environment.

Thanks, I was worried I may have over done my ordering for my Embden's. I have 8 acres fenced and have the intentions of splitting it into 3 pasture areas. the house is in the center and the pond is at the very back. its about 120 x 180 when it fills up. it drys down to about 40 x 70 by summers end. as for space and night time housing how much room do you think the sets should have to their own?

Quote:
I dont know about geese teritories... Ive always had great luck introducing new animals... Ive never had to introduce geese... But I love the Idea of getting babies and letting them grow into the club..

My Buff and Toulouse hatched out 3 babies... 2 died because they were squashed, and 1 survieved... I was collecting there eggs and incubating them and hatched out 5 babies, when the babies hatched, after 2 days in the brooder, I put them in the LOCK box with the geese, and the next day, Both mommas were now carring for 6 babies.

P.S. I lock up all my geese in a LOCK box.. Its 4 X 4 X 2. I had a bobcat come and steel one of my female Geese so now I have been locking them in the NEST lock box. Now, 30 mins before the sun sets, the geese with the babies walk into the lock box on there own for sleep. I just close the door.

Saftey 1st.

Back
Top Bottom