Question(s) re: leftover powder from crumble feed.

HickChic3

Hatching
Apr 12, 2016
Hello all! I have been reviewing the recipes and threads that mention crumbles vs. pellets, and even the varieties of mash that exist in the different parts of the world, lol, but I couldn't locate a specific question.
My crumbles
produce quite a bit of powder, which I would like to use in a recipe for my crew to continue to get nutrients (and not waste food/money
wink.png
), so I ask those of you far more experienced in the chicken raising than myself(newbie only two months in)... Does anyone else do this? If so do you have suggestions on what to mix it with to have the fine powder actually stick to something?
I recently had the experience of watching my neighbor (who is also new to raising chickens)run through various treatments with one of her chickens because the hen developed impacted crop -
sickbyc.gif
which I would love to avoid, but the powder being so fine and dry, it does concern me.
I give them cabbage, apples (minus seeds thanks to some research from BYC
big_smile.png
), and yogurt, but only on occasion, like once or twice a week, alternating between "treats". I also my girls and my one dude approx. 1-1.5 cups of "scratch" per day that is a mix of the following. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Hello all! I have been reviewing the recipes and threads that mention crumbles vs. pellets, and even the varieties of mash that exist in the different parts of the world, lol, but I couldn't locate a specific question.
My crumbles
produce quite a bit of powder, which I would like to use in a recipe for my crew to continue to get nutrients (and not waste food/money
wink.png
), so I ask those of you far more experienced in the chicken raising than myself(newbie only two months in)... Does anyone else do this? If so do you have suggestions on what to mix it with to have the fine powder actually stick to something?
I recently had the experience of watching my neighbor (who is also new to raising chickens)run through various treatments with one of her chickens because the hen developed impacted crop -
sickbyc.gif
which I would love to avoid, but the powder being so fine and dry, it does concern me.
I give them cabbage, apples (minus seeds thanks to some research from BYC
big_smile.png
), and yogurt, but only on occasion, like once or twice a week, alternating between "treats". I also my girls and my one dude approx. 1-1.5 cups of "scratch" per day that is a mix of the following. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!
I mix the dust with an egg and water and cook chicken pancakes Chop it up it small pieces and my 10 week old chicks love it Uses up the dust and provides extra protein Win-win

Add a little water and make a mash. Getting the right consistancy is trial and error. You don't want slop and you don't want concrete. Somewhere inbetween is good. You will probaly find the chickens prefer it to dried feed or pellets. It also makes giving medication to chickens who will still eat on there won a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom