Fermented Feed?

Dom G

Songster
Jan 24, 2023
Strongsville, OH
Hello all! Does anyone have a fermented feed recipe to try? I would like my chickens to gain some weight. We raise them for eggs, not meat. They are all healthy but a couple appear to be undersized. Also, I buy my feed at tractor supply so if you have any suggestions on which is your favorite, let me know please!

Fermenting layer pellets is not recommended because the calcium mineral react negatively in the fermenting process.

High protein feed crumble or scratch ferments better.

You just need a large plastic or glass container fill it halfway with one or the other food. Then add cold water, fill it and leave an inch of water above the food. Cover the container with a mesh cloth or a hand towel. Let it sit for 2 to 3 days before using it. It should smell yeasty like a sour dough bread or close to it.

Use a strainer to remove the content. When your ready to serve it should look like moist feed not a wet soup.

Fermenting layer pellets is not recommended because the calcium mineral react negatively in the fermenting process.

You just need a large plastic or glass container fill it halfway with one or the other food. Then add cold water, fill it and leave an inch of water above the food. Cover the container with a mesh cloth or a hand towel. Let it sit for 2 to 3 days before using it. It should smell yeasty like a sour dough bread or close to it.

Use a strainer to remove the content. When your ready to serve it should look like moist feed not a wet soup.
Can i add raw beans chopped up from my garden?

Can i add fresh raw green beans blended up from my garden?

Back
Top Bottom