Question: where do you keep the newly hatched chicks?

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
What do you do with the newly hatched chicks from the bators? I mean do you keep them in the house until they have completely feathered out or do you put them in a safe, secure place in the coop under a heat lamp? I am afraid to hatch too early due to weather. What if the power goes out, etc? I would like to hear from those of you who live in cold climates and hatch, with incubators only please, as to where you keep the chicks. Thanks to all of you.

After they hatch in the bator I have a brooder I made out of a cardbard box with a heating lamp. They stay in there till spring.
Also I forgot to mention that if The box is to small when they grow up Iadd more boxes on to it to make it bigger. I have never had a power outtage yet when they are in the brooder

Last edited by a moderator:
My climate isn't so cold (NC) but I've got two brooders full of babies in my sun room/office.

19 week old BRs and BOs

10 seven wk old Silkies.

Don't know how much longer I'm going to keep them inside....the dust is driving me crazy, but don't want to rush it with the time of year.

I think I will put at least some of the silkies out with the next stretch of above freezing days with a heat lamp in the coop. They have WAY outgrown the brooder pen!

thanks for the quick response, you keep them in the same brooder box for months?? I want to make sure I have this right...I would think they would be about ready to lay by then.? ha ha My dh would freak out. ha ha

Wow, it didn't seem possible to be able to keep them in the house let alone a brooder box, for that long. Now you all have me thinking I can start a lot earlier than planned.....
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

Sorry I forgot to mention that. After they have full feathers and outgrow the brooder They are all in a big dog crate. I usually let them free roam in the house. Make sure they are on tile. You dont want chicken poo on a nice clean carpet

My silkies are definately outgrowing the brooder - there are 10 of them in there but so far they aren't squabbling too much.

I think I will actually put them out tomorrow - we have a whole week where highs are in the upper 50s low 60s and lows are above freezing. They are well feathered out so I think they will be OK with a heat lamp in the coop at night.

I'm going to see how it goes with the little ones. They will probably stay in until i can determine gender, then most will go into new homes and I should be down to less than 10 left.

Ok, it is going down in to the low twenties within a week again then by Jan and Feb we could be in single digits so maybe it is best that I wait. You girls are marvelous to hatch now and have the weather on your side. Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom