Question: White peafowl with one dark feather?

ThreeWillows

Songster
7 Years
Sep 5, 2016
Ohio
Is it at all unusual for a white peafowl to have a dark feather or two? I have a bird I thought was pure white, but I noticed an odd dark wing feather this evening.

Is it at all unusual for a white peafowl to have a dark feather or two? I have a bird I thought was pure white, but I noticed an odd dark wing feather this evening.
Is this bird full-grown or a chick? I've seen chicks showing up with dark feather(s) that they outgrow. I thought it would be cool though if they kept it.

Otherwise, if it's an adult, it would have something to do with the color genetics of its parents as apparently there is some bleeding through, and probably more than you have observed. This thread maybe helps explain it.

Is this bird full-grown or a chick? I've seen chicks showing up with dark feather(s) that they outgrow. I thought it would be cool though if they kept it.

Otherwise, if it's an adult, it would have something to do with the color genetics of its parents as apparently there is some bleeding through, and probably more than you have observed. This thread maybe helps explain it.
It's this year's youngster. So, maybe it will outgrow it. Thanks for the reply!

When a White bird shows a black feather anywhere on its body it is most likely because it was derived from a Silver Pied parent. In many ways Silver Pied is still not understood. What to look for is if the color of the errant feather is the color that would naturally occur on that point of the body. This birds father was from a Silver Pied crossing. If the feather bothers you then pull it. Remember there is no such thing as a 'Pure White' in genotype, only phenotype.
IMG_9409.JPG

When a White bird shows a black feather anywhere on its body it is most likely because it was derived from a Silver Pied parent. In many ways Silver Pied is still not understood. What to look for is if the color of the errant feather is the color that would naturally occur on that point of the body. This birds father was from a Silver Pied crossing. If the feather bothers you then pull it. Remember there is no such thing as a 'Pure White' in genotype, only phenotype.View attachment 3696937
Thank you! Yes, the bird is out of a pied male and a silver pied hen.

It would be cool if...
IMG_7322.JPG

Back
Top Bottom