Peafowl not going through door into barn at night

LoomisTom

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
Another Pullet-Shut owner here (*love it*). My peafowl use the standard (not the big turkey one) just fine. The problem I'm having is that they don't go in at night. On the advice of the Nopec (makers of Pullet-Shut) guys, I even set the timer for one full hour after dark.

Maybe it's too dark inside the door? I'm thinking of hanging a light in there so the peafowl will be going from darkness into a lighted space. Advice?

I've never had peafowl, but I have had success with training chickens by adding a light in the coop. Eventually they learn and you can do away with the light.

Side note, I can't hardly remember life without the automatic door.... love em!

Peas want to sleep under the stars, they are not chickens that want to be inside at night. The peas are more likely to be in the coop during the day, especially in inclement weather and go out to sleep in the weather at night.

Peas want to sleep under the stars, they are not chickens that want to be inside at night. The peas are more likely to be in the coop during the day, especially in inclement weather and go out to sleep in the weather at night.
I hear ya. Ours are babies and the breeder advised us to keep them in a barn stall with aviary attached for at least six months. He felt that this would raise our chances of not having them wander off to just over 50%.

I don't know where you are but if your climate is suitable and they are in a safe aviary I would let them roost outside. We herd ours in only if the weather is forecast to be extremely bad.

Back
Top Bottom