Question

DrMara

Hatching
Jul 30, 2016
With the last big storm (July 20th), I had big trees down and power out, it was wicked. Nothing feel on the chicken coop. Something happened to Gladys, my speckled sussex. Every since that night she whistled intermittently, wheezing and panted with deep breathing. Last night she ate and drank, and came running to me when I went for the nightly treat, though still breathing heavy. This morning I found her dead in her coop. Something happened that night. It definitely was not infectious, everyone else is looking good, she had no runny nose or eye changes. No spitting. All was good except her breathing. I could not find anything on the internet. Now I wonder if she got crushed by the other chickens? Maybe crushed her trachea? I don't think she had any broken bones because she still wanted to be picked up to my lap and flew off when she was done. Anyone have any ideas? She was so sweet:)
Mara

I'm sorry for you loss.

There really is no way to tell what happened. Your theory of her being crushed a bit by the other hens may be correct. With you noticing wheezing, panting etc., after the storm, she could have aspirated some food when the storm hit, which then caused something like pneumonia. Sometimes respiratory illnesses can become active when stress is introduced, but I think you would have seen more symptoms. Just some thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom