Question.

Marshmallow1234

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
Canada
I’m curious how do I know if my hens like me? Because they let me pet it but still walks away when I try to get it to sit on my lap. I also have this one hen who I really like and I like to pet her. Where do they like to be pet? Also, I was holding a chicken and they even can show their belly to me

Well chickens don’t really like people, they tolerate them. What they like is food. If you give them feed or treats (only once in a while) our if your hand they wont run from you as much or hate you. But at their teenage stage they’re always more skittish.

Handling them constantly starting when they're chicks has been the ticket for me; I even have a white leghorn that will come up for underwing scratches occasionally. The only ones that keep a wary distance from me are my two roosters. One because he's the backup rooster and the main rooster and a couple of the hens whoop on him regularly, and I think he lumps me on with them. The other rooster caught a kick that he remembers well. He is very well behaved and an excellent rooster to the flock.

My chickens seem to hate being restrained, and I have several hens that have learned that I won't take hold of them if they jump onto my lap for treats. Today they got moldy blueberries and leftover mashed potatoes out of a bowl I held in my lap and they had to sit on my knees to get to the goodies. I had three jostling for best position.

Handling them constantly starting when they're chicks has been the ticket for me; I even have a white leghorn that will come up for underwing scratches occasionally. The only ones that keep a wary distance from me are my two roosters. One because he's the backup rooster and the main rooster and a couple of the hens whoop on him regularly, and I think he lumps me on with them. The other rooster caught a kick that he remembers well. He is very well behaved and an excellent rooster to the flock.

My chickens seem to hate being restrained, and I have several hens that have learned that I won't take hold of them if they jump onto my lap for treats. Today they got moldy blueberries and leftover mashed potatoes out of a bowl I held in my lap and they had to sit on my knees to get to the goodies. I had three jostling for best position.
I got mine when they were big.. like 5 months but they don’t really jump on my lap (which I wish they would) they only follow me when I have treats

I got mine when they were big.. like 5 months but they don’t really jump on my lap (which I wish they would) they only follow me when I have treats
If you got them at 5 months then a lot of it is determined by how the previous owner handled them before you got them. They can still grow on you, but I think one of the biggest things, like previously mentioned, is to not restrain them(no hugs). I can get mine to jump in my lap to grab treats And pet their backs. After awhile of that certain ones have began to lay down on my lap. if you don’t think your current chicks are as friendly as you would like just wait until they have chicks. Then you can teach them to be less skittish around humans.

If you got them at 5 months then a lot of it is determined by how the previous owner handled them before you got them. They can still grow on you, but I think one of the biggest things, like previously mentioned, is to not restrain them(no hugs). I can get mine to jump in my lap to grab treats And pet their backs. After awhile of that certain ones have began to lay down on my lap. if you don’t think your current chicks are as friendly as you would like just wait until they have chicks. Then you can teach them to be less skittish around humans.
Ok thanks. When we got it they said they handled the hen a lot

I’m curious how do I know if my hens like me? Because they let me pet it but still walks away when I try to get it to sit on my lap. I also have this one hen who I really like and I like to pet her. Where do they like to be pet? Also, I was holding a chicken and they even can show their belly to me
I hand raised all 13 hens. They are 8 months now. Some of them will jump on my shoulder when I sit in with them. Most of them like being pet under their neck. If I pet their back they squat down like I am a rooster . I have NO rooster. I am caretaker and treat giver. They are very friendly. A few are slightly skiddish, get what they want and run away.

Chickens won't generally come and sit on your lap, or purposely seek out human attention. This is nothing personal, it's just because chickens are prey animals and therefore more skittish than, say, a dog. Of course, there are exceptions where chickens are very affectionate towards people, but it's not often that you will find a chicken like this. Mostly, chickens just tolerate us picking them up and petting them, and some tolerate it more than others.
Handling your chickens often from a very young age will help to get them used to being touched. You can also gain their trust with food.

Back
Top Bottom