question???

duckman11032

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
so I have 5 rouen ducklings born on the 18th so they are not even a week old how long do I have to wait before i can get them in the tub???
I can tell they want to swim and play in there water dish so I know they want to swim, im sure if the water is warm they will be ok....

its probably just making sure they are under a lamp to get dry when there done????

well let me know what you all have done, thanks guys

michael
"the duckman"
cool.png

i give mine a bath on their one week birthday, but the water is warm and only a inch or two deep. They will have fun swimming around and preening. you have to watch them the whole time, and you have to dry them off a bit with a towel before sticking them back in the brooder. I have 2 ducklings now, and it's managable. If you don't feel like it or it seems dauntng, then i'd wait til 2 1/2 or 3 weeks old when they are more capable of drying themselves off.

I raise Muscovy and let the Mommas hatch them out. I have let the momma and babies out at 3 day old and the first thing the momma does is lead them to the creek! So if they are warm I don't see the harm as long as it is for a few minutes and the water isn't to deep.
A duckling can't swim long because it can drown. It needs the feather and oil glad to work to somewhat water proof them.
Until their oil glands and feathers come in they get the oil they need from Momma.
She only keeps them by the water for a short swim! Then back to the nest they go!

Right away with warm water and supervision. I was going to wait, but when I went to Big R to buy Bungie, there were day-old ducks fighting to get in to the water bowl so they could play and float.

Since JJ was a week old and I had to have Bungie fished out of a water bowl to take home, I started giving them baths from the get go.

Back
Top Bottom