Question

Nortonsmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Ellenboro NC
lock down was Monday - one started pippig Tuesday, one Wed one Friday - today all 3 are still in the shell and the rest have done nothing...they are still moving and peeping...should we help Tuesday out of the shell? Thanks

right now its at 77 - one has zipped about 2/3 the way round -- the other 2 have poked larger holes and they are all makin noise - but they've been at this since tues and wed....is there a time to intervene?

Quote:
There is no right answer to that question. You will have to just decide.

For me, if the chick is peeping strong and moving I do not intervene. But if the chick cannot move to zip, it might be stuck (shrink wrapped) in the egg and so cannot twist around to zip properly.

Personally, I do help when needed. I make sure I have everything I need before opening the bator - I like to add hot water help up the humidity that decreases when the lid is opened. Open bator, water and grab egg in question. Wrap egg in very warm moist washcloth and examine chick/pip hole.

thanks for your reply...I am going to grab him/her shortly and will try I guess...they are all oeg birds...so tiny....but they seem to be fighting so we shall see. Thanks!

Goodness, they are tiny!

I have had two who stuck in their shells - no idea why because the others who hatched before, during and after had no troubles. When I pulled the egg out, I could see the membrane was white - like paper, not the thin almost clear way it normally is. I had to crack a bit of the shell a little at a time, and drop by drop I added a bit of water over the membrane to help moisten it. When I finally got the chick out, I did have to wash the chick with a wet warm cloth - since most all of the left over egg gunk had fused to the chicks fluff
hmm.png

Good luck - go slow, keep the egg/chick warm and moist.

ETA: should you see blood, or good veining with blood - stop. wrap egg/chick in moist warm cloth and return to the bator for a bit longer.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me - I got brave and helped the 3 of them out - and so far they are doing pretty well....that membrane was pretty tough....I just wish I new what we were doing wrong....I thought I had the humidity good at 50 and then increase to 75-80 at lock down...at least they have a chance now! THANKS!

woot.gif

So glad they made it.

I am not 100% sure why this happens either - I know people will tell you it is a humidity issue, but I have had this happen in the midst of hatching while the others do fine. I also have had this happen under a broody - duck and chicken - not the whole clutch just an egg or two.

It is always an adventure
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom