question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by salvationfarms, Jul 25, 2011.

1. salvationfarms

salvationfarms Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    New Albany, MS
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but what do any of you use to clean your eggs ?

2. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I just wash them in the sink with a cloth or something. I like to keep my nest boxes very clean so I don't have to wash very many of them.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The ''bloom" on the egg is a hen produced coating that protects the egg from bacteria and dehydration. It's better for egg freshness to retain the bloom which is removed by washing. there are egg washing preparations sold in chicken supply sights. I'm guessing that these would either retain or replace the effect of the bloom.

Chicken's dirty feet (mud etc. being tracked into the nest box) and non-nesting activity in the nesting box, such as roosting can lead to dirty nest boxes. One way to prevent mud tracking is make the chickens walk far enough to have the mud off before they get to the nest box.

The woodshavings or hay/straw can be replaced in nest boxes whenever they are dirty.

Ideally and under the right conditions egg washing isn't needed (or desirable).

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by