QUESTION

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
i let my chickens sleep on top of the coop (their place of choice to sleep for some reason unknown:) anyway unless its raining or cold or really windy. so we were going trick or treating tonight and in a little bit of a hurry afterwardsso i decided to go ahead and let them sleep up there tonight. now i see on the news its supposed to be 32 tonight. do yall think they will be ok? or should i put them inside the coop?

I would put them in the coop with some sort of heat lamp so they do not freeze as much...how old are they and that depends on what you should do...if they were mine I would put them under shelter.

I'd put them in the coop unless you have no predators. Do they not like to roost? Sometimes locking them up for a few days cures them.

yes they do like to roost but they just prefer on top of the coop. they pen is completely fenced in top to bottom so i dont worry to much about predators at night. they free range most all the time. i went ahead and put them in. i couldnt have went to slepp knowing it was going to be that cold and them being out on the roof.

I've had free range birds that sleep in trees and they've done just fine. Our temps get down to the low teens in the winter, the birds were fine. Even the leghorn hen's comb had no issues. I'm not sure how they held on during some of the wind storms we had, but they did! Rain, wind, etc never seemed to phase them one bit. They just wanted to be as high as they could.

oh i definitely would be afraid to let them sleep in trees but, some family members say they are chickens and that when they were kids they remember their chickens sleeping in trees YIKES!

Back
Top Bottom