Question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
So I have a broody hen who's been sitting on eggs for 2 weeks today and her due date is Sunday, but I dunno if the eggs will hatch because, I have another hen who waits for the broody to take her break and she hurries and sits on the nest!! She's very careful it's as if she wants I be broody but she dosent have a clutch of eggs, and I don't know we're to get any? Well I was wondering if the eggs will still hatch with this hen around?

images

Welcome to BYC!

If you think this other broody is being gentle with the eggs, than would think that all is well. Generally it is best to isolate the broody so other hens don't mess with the eggs or add new ones to the clutch. You might want to block this area of for the broody so she can do her job and let the other broody brood somewhere else. You could set her up with a temporary nest box for her while the broody and her eggs stay safe.

But keep us posted! We will be anxiously awaiting news of spring chicks!

Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows said, you might want to separate the broody with the eggs, especially when the chicks hatch so you don't have the hens arguing over them. Sometimes hens will share a nest, but it sounds like the one hen keeps the other one out if she can.
you might check your state thread if anyone has hatching eggs in your area https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Back
Top Bottom