question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
So I live in a city in California and were not allowed to water the grass because of this drought so for the past 2 months my yard had been nothing but dirt and the dirt isn't compacted its really loose and causes lots of dust when you walk in it, my chickens run is first to but I'm noticing there starting to sneeze and breath really nasty like there trying to cough something up plus they have some nasal discharge coming out to I was wondering if it was the dust or is it because there sick?

Please go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum. Then you can locate and post on your state thread. We have been getting lots of rain in Illinois, so I can't begin to imagine what kind of dust bowl you are experiencing. But others in California would be best to tell you how to deal with this.

I would think putting shower curtains or the like on the fencing might keep dust from drifting into your run for now. But, with California heat that would probably make things worse in a different way.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm leaning more towards them having a respiratory disease, but it could certainly be the dust. I'd post this in the emergencies section; hopefully people there can help. Good luck!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry to hear about your birds!

Like Bantamlover21, I'm also leaning towards it being a respiratory disease. But, I could be wrong.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am not from your area, but we too lost tons of grass due to the drought and it got incredibly dusty around here too. Just blowing everywhere even as the birds walked around in it. But my birds did not start sneezing or anything. However you may have silicon in your dirt or some sort of fungus in it as well.

You might get them on some antibacterial meds to see if you can't clear this up. Duramycin is a broad spectrum antibacterial drug that works on many respiratory ailments. But you might also hose down the area to keep the dust down. I do this a lot in the spring until the rains come enough to keep some of the dust down. Just dampen it enough to keep the dust from blowing.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom