Questionable pecking order problem - need advice!

I am having the same problem too, so yesterday, when she attacked another hen, I caught her and held her head down to the ground. I gave her a little tap on the head and then plucked a small feather from her tail. She settled down for the rest of the afternoon. I hope it works.

That is true is the lead hen is removed then someone else may just take her place. I do like the idea of removing the lead hen when you introduce the Roo, which might be better anyway since she may try to kill him, and then putting her back in once he is established.

I am having the same problem too, so yesterday, when she attacked another hen, I caught her and held her head down to the ground. I gave her a little tap on the head and then plucked a small feather from her tail. She settled down for the rest of the afternoon. I hope it works.
Let me know if that works! I was just in my pen and one of my sweet girls flew up on my shoulder and just sat there. When I reached for the mean one after she tried pecking me, she tried to get away I grabbed her and held her the rest of the time I was in the pen. I also told I am head honcho and don't you forget it! Hey Vintage chick any luck yet?

Okay, I'm getting the general idea that a rooster might settle things down. Thank you Happy Camper for the exact "low-down" on what you did.

RahaelS - I do have the option of another pen, but in the long run, that just seems like a lot of maintenance in order to just trying to keep peace. And....

I talked to some chicken farmers last night about our little dilemma. They said (like Diana mentioned) that if I spend all this effort separating them, then another hen will just take her place and I'll most likely have the problem all over again. Also, they have a lot of roosters, and it still doesn't do anything for the pecking order, or settling them down. When their girls fight, they just walk into the house. Some are pecked to death. Then again, they are in a farming operation, and their girls are not "pets" like mine are.

Cricket has only layed 3 eggs in the past two weeks. I think she's really mad at me and/or taking on a rooster-role.

I changed their feed yesterday, so I'm going to give this another try, just to experiment if some of the posts about protein deficiency is a possibility.

Like one of the comments above, some hens just don't like other hens. My husband said that he thinks every young man should raise some hens before he gets married...it can tell him a lot about women.
lau.gif

Sometimes when there's no rooster in the flock, a hen will take over that job and can get nasty with the other hens. Either try a rooster or put peepers on the offending hen. They work GREAT, and are cheaper than feeding a rooster! http://www.randallburkey.com/Pin-Less-Peepers-100-Pkg/productinfo/10097/

Now, if you can get a rooster, I'd recommend it. My rooster does a great job of keeping the hens in line. He doesn't allow hens to fight with each other. He finds them treats, and calls them over and shows them the goodies--too cute! A few days ago, he fought off a hawk. Look at his poor tail, and the feathers missing from the front of his neck:

Sometimes when there's no rooster in the flock, a hen will take over that job and can get nasty with the other hens. Either try a rooster or put peepers on the offending hen. They work GREAT, and are cheaper than feeding a rooster! http://www.randallburkey.com/Pin-Less-Peepers-100-Pkg/productinfo/10097/

Now, if you can get a rooster, I'd recommend it. My rooster does a great job of keeping the hens in line. He doesn't allow hens to fight with each other. He finds them treats, and calls them over and shows them the goodies--too cute! A few days ago, he fought off a hawk. Look at his poor tail, and the feathers missing from the front of his neck:

Glad your rooster is okay! He sure is a good rooster!!

I agree with putting in a rooster. I have one rooster that I use for that. I call him the peacemaker. Whenever there is a squabble, he runs right over and breaks it up. He is also quite tame with people.

Back
Top Bottom