Questions about a natural pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickboss, Jun 27, 2010.

1. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I have a small natural pond on my property that I first envisioned using when I purchased out first four ducklings this spring. The pond is fed by a shallow underground spring and then slowly dranins through the earth. After reading more, I was concerned that with such a low inlet/outlet vollume that perhaps this pond was verging on being completely stagnant and didn't want to risk botulism. Here's the deal though, the wild ducks here land and play on it all the time as well as the heirons (why can't I spell this a.m. ? LOL)and cranes. It is loaded with frogs. I am rethinking about using it. Any thoughts?

Edited to add that every single animal besides the ducks have chosen to drink out of this pond regaurdless of having clean fresh water available without any signs of sickness. I am thinking that I was being paranoid...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Let them be happy ducks. They will mud puddle and rinse when swimming in it.

3. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    That's what I am thinking. It seems totally silly, when everything else is consuming this water, to refill a swimming pool 50ft away from a natural pond... [​IMG]

4. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    Mine have lived exclusively on a large natural pond for 4 years now. It does not have a spring, just rain fed and it can really get low. (like right about now, with little rain) They drink from it, live on it, and are healthy happy ducks. The entire population of the back 70 comes to drink from it, or so it seems, so I will assume that it is safe enough.
    Not ideal when the water gets low, I admit, but mostly, they're in heaven. I would say 'go for it'.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Stagnan water doesn't cause botulism, decaying matter cut off from the oxygen in the air allows the bacteria that produce the toxin to thrive. It is the toxin produced by the bacteria that sickens and kills.

6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:Stagnan water doesn't cause botulism, decaying matter cut off from the oxygen in the air allows the bacteria that produce the toxin to thrive. It is the toxin produced by the bacteria that sickens and kills.

Isn't that why you see it more often in stagnant waters, because the lack of movement doesn't allow for good oxidization of the water?

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    "Isn't that why you see it more often in stagnant waters, because the lack of movement doesn't allow for good oxidization of the water?"
    After growing the bacteria in the lab I am willing to say even well aerated water does not have enough oxygen for the growth of bacteria to be retarded. Stagnet water often has dead fish and dead plant matter that make wonderfull hosts for this oxygen hating bacteria so you are correct to to avoid stagnet water. I am just saying that flowing water can be a problem too.

8. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for the info. That is interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by