Questions about breeding..

mother of many

Chirping
May 11, 2015
Bladenboro, NC
I currently have a pair of Buff Polish chicks (male and female) but I want to enrich the color pallet of my flock. I want to get my little guy a few more girls so its not so hard on the one (as far as mating and having bare backs). I want to get him a Blue Polish female and either a Black or a White Polish female. Would this be alright when it comes down to breeding or would that complicate things too much?
I also have the same question in reference to silkies I have a single little Black Beauty. I want to get her a Blue Silkie Roo to mate with and supply him with a White female and a Buff female also. How would the offspring turn out and how they be labeled if extra babies were sold?
I am but a simple farm girl wanting to breed some chickens. I am not wishing to gain anything other than a beautiful flock.

I am NOT a color genetics expert, but there is a lot of good information about it out there. In general, mixing colors is a poor idea, until you read up on the consequences. Black and blue tend to blend well; white can be dominant or not, and buff doesn't mix with black or blue. I'm not trying to do this, so find more information before you leap off the cliff. Mary

Thank you for that. I really dont have preference on polish. I just want more color variety but I already have a Buff polish cockrel and I dont want too many roos (having 2 small very involved children I am worried about aggression in the flock). But i do have a breeder down the road that is on the track to breeding her blue polish and we are in line to get one. But I think I may just go with a white polish to go with him. And on the silkies I am very keen on getting a blue roo and I already have a black pullet so they should mix well. And the I kinda want to get a white also and I may just go with a blue pullet also so I have 2 lol !) So I have pure line. Again thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom