questions about buying hatching eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eggdd, Nov 16, 2011.

1. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    1) why do people sell +s? example: 3 + 1, or 10 + 2. why not just sell 4 or 12 hatching eggs?

2) why do people just sell 4 eggs? once they've gone through shipping and you account for roosters and all that - - is paying twenty or thirty bucks for four eggs worth it?

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i like to get a dozen and find a couple extras in the box.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Usually they will include extras just in case some of the eggs break while traveling.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Sometimes during the auction the hens will lay more then expected and besides that buying shipped eggs is a risk so the seller wants you to have the best hatch rate possible. Say you buy 10+ and get 12
    8 hatch, you could think of it as 80% hatch rate because you paid for 10.

5. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder that as well. I sell hatching eggs but by the number then I put in extras if I have them. Sometimes I don't have any extras I have sent as many as 0 to x2 the number of eggs ordered depending on the hens.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:Some people have the smaller incubators or chicken laws restrict the number of birds they can have [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    To answer your second question- I don't think 4 eggs are worth 30 bucks. I wouldn't buy less than a dozen eggs for the reasons you stated- hatch rate and roosters!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:You get what you pay for. Just sayin'.

9. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I agree with PP's...the extra eggs are to cover damage that can occur with shipping. I think people sell the auction based on the number of eggs they estimate their hens will lay, and then hope for one or two more to cover breakage, etc. I think people include that information in their auction because it shows they are willing to bear some of the risk for shipping...I appreciate knowing that!!!! As far as selling a small number of eggs...some people have a fewer hens, but that doesn't mean there aren't people out there interested in the birds they are breeding...and I agree with a PP...some people are limited to the number of chickens they can have. If they got 12 eggs, and all 12 hatched [​IMG] , they may need to find homes for 8 of them...not so easy in an urban environment.

Personally...I prefer to purchase larger amounts of eggs, because I like to account for shipping damage, roosters, etc...if I'm gonna spend 3 weeks hovering over my bator [​IMG]...I want to see at least a couple chicks in the end!! [​IMG]

BTW...some people pay ALOT more than $30 for 4 eggs...I've seen them go for hundreds per egg...just depends on the breed!!!

10. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:Some people have the smaller incubators or chicken laws restrict the number of birds they can have [​IMG] [​IMG]

well, when i read through these forums, in my opinion, the general consensus is hatching 2-4 eggs from dozen would be considered a good hatch for shipped eggs. anything above that is surprising/unexpected. that said....ok, fair enough. thanks for the info - - i hadn't thought about restrictions and the such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by