Questions about Diatomaceous Earth - feedback appreciated

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I keep seeing mention of Diatomaceous Earth and I also know that the place that makes my organic feed carries it. However, I don't know anything about it. Is it considered an organic supplement? I know it's supposed to treat and prevent some parasites, but that's about all I know so far. Does anyone use it? Do you like it? How is it used? Also, my chicks are nearly 4 weeks old. Can I use it on them? would I want to?

I have seen mention of it on threads about parasitic worms and I know that chickens get those from free-ranging and eating bugs and grass. My chicks already eat earthworms and I plan to let them free-range as soon as it warms up a bit. I want them to be organic and free-range as much as possible. I am looking for suggestions.

DO NOT INHALE IT!!!!!!!

people use it as a natural wormer... if you FEED it to your animals horses/goats/chickens you are supposed to WET it down, so it does not get inhaled... READ the instructions
some people use it as a natural bug killer.. and dust it on their birds, in the coop, in the dust bathing areas...

it is like lava dust.. feels like soft dirt.. but on a molecular level it is VERY VERY sharp.. if you inhale it, it actually put tiny tiny CUTS into your lung tissue, and that turns to scar tissue.. over time the scarring on your lungs can cause you breathing problems..
this is the same way it "kills" the bugs and parasites naturally.. the tiny sharp edges put cuts into the bugs hard outer shell, so the inside of the bug dries out and dies....

my friend stopped using it for her horses,,once she got on-line and READ all about it.. even on the side of the BAG it says "do not inhale" and when FEEDING it to an animal you need to wet it down

That is not entirely true--
Please read the GREAT article on the use of DE.. just do a search in here...

The kind that cuts the lungs is Non- food-grade.. though the food grade IS a desiccant, and will dry the mucus membranes and make you sick/miserable...

it does not care who inhales it, it will still cut up lung tissuse wether it is human or bird...
IF i personally used it... it would be few and far between..
use it once a month instead of once a week... or such..
just my opinion..
please just LEARN about it first... it might not be a chemical, but it still can cause problems

Back
Top Bottom