Questions about duck coop

shoblitz

In the Brooder
8 Years
7 Years
Jan 24, 2012
Hello! I will be getting my first batch of ducklings at my new home in April and I am trying to decide what's the best location to put my coop and would love some advice. I have a small pond next to my house about 30' diameter. Also I have 3 creeks running through the property. I believe the pond is too small to house the ducks on but was really more curious if anyone lets their ducks out to swim/play in creeks and if so has their mess ruined the creek? I was thinking of putting the coop next to one creek which would also put them about 100 yds from the pond as well. They will be let out of their run/coop everyday. Do you think with these water sources available to them that they will still need a pool in their run? I ordered 10 Ancona ducklings and will most likely cull them down to 5 out of this order. Next year though I will be ordering more from a different source in hopes of creating a stronger/more varied breeding stock with an overall goal of about 10 ducks. I really would appreciate any insight.
Thank you!

I would definitely put them near a stream. My ducks love running water, and they really don't make that much of a mess, a little mud where they get in and out, and some holes in the bank where they search for bugs, but not too bad. If you plan on letting them out during the day, I wouldn't think you would need a pond in the run. Mine don't (we have a pond with stream) and they are fine even for the very few days when I can't let them out of their pen. Obviously you will still need a dish of water for them to drink, but not big enough for them to swim in.

Hope this helps,
big_smile.png
Ducks are SOO much fun!!! In fact I to am ordering Ancona ducks this year, I have never had that particular breed and am looking forward to the variety!
smile.png

Thanks so much! Im super excited! I had Anconas once before when I was married and they are super cute and sweet! Also being as they're on the critical list they fit right in with my plan of all heritage breed livestock. Unfortunately the flock I had before was wiped out in one night by a weasel so I cant vouch for their laying ability though I've heard great things.
Enjoy your new ducklings!!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom