Questions about EE's, "Olive eggers", ect......

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
I have read that most olive-eggers are AmeraucanaXMorans cross breeds, or something along those lines. Are there any other breeds used to create this color? I was just wondering about the popularity of "olive eggers" and how much you might value them for........along with EE's. Just wondering, no big deal!
big_smile.png
My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Then, is it true that the blue egg gene, so to speak, is dominant? (Ex: you breed a blue egglaying ameraucana or araucana hen to a RIR roo, the result will be a blue egglaying EE?)

Is this true? Or have I gotten confused........yet again?
hu.gif

Oh, and....to get an "olive egger" Would a Cuckoo Morans roo X Ameraucana hen bring about the same result? Or, does it depend on the egg color the Ameraucana lays?

Any information about either is greatly appreciated! And sorry about my lack of knowledge........but i gotta learn some how! Hope i posted this in the right area......
hmm.png

Quote:
most people do it just because they look cool. Other than marans you can use welsummers and barnevelder. The rir mix will not lay blue, but should have a greenish tinge because one color overlays the other

Quote:
It depends on the color that each lay, the darker they are the more intense the color saturation

Quote:
I hope that sound ok, I think I confuse myself, darn cold

Krista

edited because I messed the whole thing up
tongue.png

Last edited:
If I understand correctly you want the rooster to be the one carrying the Blue Egg gene and he must have 2 of that gene to guarantee green eggs (so you should not start with and easter egger rooster but start with a pure Ameraucana rooster). If the rooster does not have 2 of the blue egg gene then some hens can and will lay brown eggs. I have RIR and Orpingtons in with my Ameraucanas and I have been told that the female offspring should lay DK green eggs. I have read of a person who crossed black Australorps with pure Ameraucanas and got DK Green eggs as well. So as long as the rooster is carrying the blue egg gene them I would assume any brown egg laying hen has the potential to produce offspring that will lay DK green eggs.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks chickchick!
smile.png

So, that would mean as far as egg color, there are two genes to every bird that control it, and the chick will pick up one from each? :hmm

I think so. Having the rooster with 2 of the blue egg gene will pretty much guarantee green eggs. If the roster has only 1 of the gene then you could have a lot of offspring laying brown eggs.

This is a picture from another post by MaransGuy. The eggs are really cool!

8101_oliveeggs.jpg

Also, I got some information from another post that is a bit different from what is poster here on how to breed hens that will lay these olive eggs.

Quote:
According to this, you could cross a blue egger hen with a roo carrying a dark brown egg gene and still get the olive egg,

Back
Top Bottom