1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about eggs because Im out of it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrypunk92, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Im having an off day.. I got an egg this morning and wont have an incubator till saturday. Hoe long will it be fertle? And how.

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    The length of time a fertile eggs (You have to have a rooster for a fertile egg) remains viable dpends on in which it is stored. For the best chances of hatchability, collect all of your eggs you will incubate and immediately store in a COOL temp, as they will keep longer that being stored in nest boxes.The correct storing temperature is 51-56 degrees F. This keeps the egg cells dormant, and basically freezes germination. So you can keep your egg up until you get your bator. [​IMG]

3. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    I only have the one hen that lays and we waited 7 days before we put them in an incubator in order to get 7 eggs. They are hatching now, so it should be fine until Saturday.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    7 days or less would be best. 10 possibly but declining from there on out. Rotating it just like if it where in the incubator would help too.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Up to 14 days with little loss in hatchability. I have routinely held eggs as long as three weeks and still maintained high hatchability. Just look at how long it takes a hen to build a clutch of eggs prior to setting-- sometime far in excess of 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by