Questions About Farm Coturnix Quail

Most celadons are not jumbo sized. I ordered snowies from Myshire and they are considerably larger than my home grown celadons, however I’ve been crossing them to produce snowie celadons, and Ive found that some of the original Myshire birds carried celadon. So it’s possible they may have some larger, or they may be working on it.
In his recent live stream (not the one from last night I missed it so y'all may have already heard what's actually happening), he said there they were going to be doing big things with the jumbos and possibly adding a bunch so maybe they will breed a celadon jumbo.

In his recent live stream (not the one from last night I missed it so y'all may have already heard what's actually happening), he said there they were going to be doing big things with the jumbos and possibly adding a bunch so maybe they will breed a celadon jumbo.
Zack hates breeding celadons. He's probably not going to continue to breed celadons at all, much less try to get them to jumbo size.

Zack hates breeding celadons. He's probably not going to continue to breed celadons at all, much less try to get them to jumbo size.
I also have mixed emotions about celadons. Fortunately, the celadon birds I have are big and hearty. Their eggs though, are small. At this point, most of my birds have at least one gene of celadon. Keeping track of who has two genes and who has one is a big pain.

I also have mixed emotions about celadons. Fortunately, the celadon birds I have are big and hearty. Their eggs though, are small. At this point, most of my birds have at least one gene of celadon. Keeping track of who has two genes and who has one is a big pain.
My Myshire birds laid much bigger eggs than my celadons, but breeding them together, the eggs are larger in future generations. As far as celadon goes, once you have a known male with 2 copies of celadon, you’re home free, everything else is easy to work on. Plus, some people swear that big egg layers are more likely to get egg bound, so if that’s the case I don’t mind cracking 6 slightly smaller eggs instead of 5, in order to equal 1 chicken egg.

I keep all of my celadons in one pen so it's easier to see who has what. My mixed pen has two roos that at least carry the celadon gene, but I don't know if they have two. I haven't kept track of their chicks.

Myshire is great. Super helpful. They also do egg auctions on FB which those can be fun to participate in. My first batch of quail were from Myshire. My second batch was from a different breeder. They were alright, but boy did the shipment box of the eggs stink! Maybe it was just a fluke, but eww. And it wasn't the eggs that smelled, just the foam and box itself.
Zack is also super helpful with if you have a smaller incubator capacity. Mine can fit 44 quail eggs. I've been able to order in quantities that aren't listed on his site (usually they go by counts of 30 or so)
I just recommend going for feather sexable quail. So much easier...

I keep all of my celadons in one pen so it's easier to see who has what. My mixed pen has two roos that at least carry the celadon gene, but I don't know if they have two. I haven't kept track of their chicks.
I keep the celadons separate from the snowie project, and I move Tiger or Aragorn (both double celadon) in with the snowie ladies and I put 2 snowie males in with the celadon ladies. The next gen of snowie project got the male I didn’t use last time to keep things diverse.

What’s so bad about them? Is it the keeping track of egg color? If I got them from a line of true celadons (like perhaps Sadiegirlfarms) would I have to worry about that?

What’s so bad about them? Is it the keeping track of egg color? If I got them from a line of true celadons (like perhaps Sadiegirlfarms) would I have to worry about that?
He didn't say exactly what he didn't like about them, but I suspect it's a number of things. There is a lot of exacting record keeping so you know when your roo has both genes so he consistently sires blue layers. You have to be very careful about adding new blood since the celadon gene is recessive.

In my experience, celadon eggs are kind of a pain as well. The shells tend to be more brittle, they have more meat spots in them, and they tend to be smaller. They are very pretty, though.

Building your homogenous flock is hard. None of the big hatcheries I’ve seen offer 100% celadons, usually they’ll promise 70-90% from what I’ve seen. When the hen lays blue, you know she has 2 copies, but the only way to know with a male is to buy eggs or birds from someone who guarantees 100% or to breed it many times and see how the next hens turn out. It’s a project, but once you have a roo carrying 2 copies of celadon, you’re home free.

Back
Top Bottom