Questions about fermenting chicken and quail feed

Mine smelled sour but never bad and I don't think it was a extream sour smell, maybe depends on how much new food you added to the water vs how much old was left or just bad luck that somthing bad got in throwing it off.
Yeah, I'm guessing something along those lines. 😆

I've got a 2-day bucket cycle going, the first bucket will be served today. I have 2 buckets, One I started 2 days ago and one I started last night. We're going to try to use up the full bucket today, and then just fully renew it (no backslopping), by tomorrow the first one will have fermented for 1 day, but the second bucket will be on day 2. We'll use the second up tomorrow and renew it. By the next day bucket 1 will be ready. I'm fermenting both gamebird and chick starter feed (in separate buckets).

I'm currently doing the fully submerged method (we'll use a sieve to serve it). Have any of you fermented feed with an oatmeal consistency (the feed not fully submerged in the water after expansion) for 2 days? I'm still considering trying that method in a jar to see how it goes. It seems more of you here on BYC use an oatmeal consistency method vs the fully submerged. I know serving it would be a lot faster. 😶

I may try backslopping in a jar soon, too. I think I may have accidentally backslopped too much because I was using a bucket. I could actually see how much feed was leftover in a clear glass jar, and only leave a little left for backslopping.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!! 🙂

Im doing the backslopping and oatmeal consistency. This is my first go at it. I'm gonna ferment for three days. Today is day two. Tommorow I will serve it up. It looks fine to me. No mold, etc. I used kombucha to kick it off and try to keep in good bacteria..we will see how this goes. I'm using a large glass container, with a piece of cloth on top, and mixing every now and again.
Yeah, I'm guessing something along those lines. 😆

I've got a 2-day bucket cycle going, the first bucket will be served today. I have 2 buckets, One I started 2 days ago and one I started last night. We're going to try to use up the full bucket today, and then just fully renew it (no backslopping), by tomorrow the first one will have fermented for 1 day, but the second bucket will be on day 2. We'll use the second up tomorrow and renew it. By the next day bucket 1 will be ready. I'm fermenting both gamebird and chick starter feed (in separate buckets).

I'm currently doing the fully submerged method (we'll use a sieve to serve it). Have any of you fermented feed with an oatmeal consistency (the feed not fully submerged in the water after expansion) for 2 days? I'm still considering trying that method in a jar to see how it goes. It seems more of you here on BYC use an oatmeal consistency method vs the fully submerged. I know serving it would be a lot faster. 😶

I may try backslopping in a jar soon, too. I think I may have accidentally backslopped too much because I was using a bucket. I could actually see how much feed was leftover in a clear glass jar, and only leave a little left for backslopping.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!! 🙂

Im doing the backslopping and oatmeal consistency. This is my first go at it. I'm gonna ferment for three days. Today is day two. Tommorow I will serve it up. It looks fine to me. No mold, etc. I used kombucha to kick it off and try to keep in good bacteria..we will see how this goes. I'm using a large glass container, with a piece of cloth on top, and mixing every now and again.
Wow, awesome! Best of luck! :thumbsup

Well the chickens ate it all. I had to use plates to feed them. My rooster was confused and my one mutt hen. But the leghorns were just about licking their foreheads over the stuff.
Well done on the FF!! I'm glad your chickens enjoyed it!

We're still playing around with it a bit, but our chicks have been loving this new batch of 2-day cycle FF! The problem now is fermenting enough of it LOL. 😆

Well done on the FF!! I'm glad your chickens enjoyed it!

We're still playing around with it a bit, but our chicks have been loving this new batch of 2-day cycle FF! The problem now is fermenting enough of it LOL. 😆
I do not like the smell..it isn't rotten. I just don't like the smell it's awful. It reminds me of dog food. But I hate the smell of chicken and dog food. If I were my dog, I would only eat the milk bones🤣

I do not like the smell..it isn't rotten. I just don't like the smell it's awful. It reminds me of dog food. But I hate the smell of chicken and dog food. If I were my dog, I would only eat the milk bones🤣
Fermenting seems to be going well here as well. The gamebird feed expanded to almost triple!! 😮

And yes I agree about the smell, not rotten, but really gross!! 🤢 My friend thought it smelled good though!!? 😦😦😦
Opinions I guess...

And the milk bones LOL. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom