Questions about incubating quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ohiobranchofchickenranch, May 21, 2010.

1. ohiobranchofchickenranch

ohiobranchofchickenranch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    I'm brand new to quail breeding I was given 11 fresh fertile quail eggs and I want to hatch them in my sportsmen 1502 but I don't know how long to let me incubate before I stop the turner and put them in lockdown. Can someone with more experience let me know?

2. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    What kind of quail? If coturnix, then you incubate them at an average temp of 99.5 and 55-60% humidity. You lock them down at day 14 and increase humidity to 70-75%. They will hatch between 16 and 19 days. Some recommend hatching them in cartons so they stand vertically with the large end up.

If you are talking about another type of quail, I am pretty sure the temp and humidity levels are pretty much the same, but the lock down day is different. I am sure others will respond for other quail, but it would help short cut the process if you posted the breed.

UGCM

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:That is correct, it has been my experience that by day 17 they are all out and going, quail are very fertile and easy to hatch LOL they hatch fast as watching popcorn pop.

AL

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We just hatched a batch of coturnix in a Sportsman, 99.5 and about 50% rh. They hatched like popcorn in day 16. I didn't stop turning until the morning of day and by that night most were out.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by