Questions about intestinal worms

So no wormy poop today but to confirm the first picture has some intestinal lining. The second is scary cocci poo. It's a dark red, strawberry jam color.
IMG_0337.JPEG IMG_0338.JPEG
So now the question is what to try and treat. I just did cordid 2 weeks ago for 5 days.
I can do that again but I'm worried about taxing everyone's system. I've read you can do cocci and worm treatment at the same time, but again is that too much?
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I disposed of the poo. They were definitely worms. (Unless they got into some spaghetti.) I've seen the intestinal lining before. I treated for cocci when I saw 2 pretty bloody looking poop 2 days in row. It was only 1 poop a day but with young ones 1 poop was too many.
If I happen to see another wormy poop I'll get a picture. If the littles will be ok to be wormed I'll do that.
Would the other 2 girls be ok getting Valbazen a month after get the Ivermectin? I don't want to tax their system.
Can I skip the adults? With the small size of the poop I really don't think it's any of them. I clean the coop at least once a day.
Ivermectin is not a good wormer, so just give Valbazen or Wazine if you think you say large roundworms. Pick one, give it twice 10-14 days apart.

So no wormy poop today but to confirm the first picture has some intestinal lining. The second is scary cocci poo. It's a dark red, strawberry jam color.
View attachment 1070076 View attachment 1070077
So now the question is what to try and treat. I just did cordid 2 weeks ago for 5 days.
I can do that again but I'm worried about taxing everyone's system. I've read you can do cocci and worm treatment at the same time, but again is that too much?
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
You can treat worms and coccidiosis at the same time. Can you have a vet check the poop?

Chickens get a higher dose per pound than horses. The easiest way to worm your chickens would be to get some Valbazen liquid for cows.

@casportpony, I could also use your help! I've been deworming my chickens for what seems like months now and I'm at a loss at what else to do. I noticed white, squirming rice looking critters in one of my chickens poop back in February. We dewormed with Wazine but that didn't work so I took a fecal sample to the vet. They told me they had round worms and to treat with Panacur (Safeguard), so we did that treatment but were still seeing the white segments and several of my chicks developed diarrhea and 1/2 of them stopped laying! After some research here, I realized it was tapeworm. I've now dosed them three times with Valbazen (six days apart as recommended in one thread) but I'm still seeing the moving segments. The first time we used appx 1/2 cc oral as recommended in Gail Demarrow's chicken book. After a week we were still seeing them so upped the dosage to just over 1/2 cc. I think they've lost a lot of weight so I was afraid of giving them too much. We gave them the third treatment last week and I'm still seeing the life segments in some (not all) of the chickens stools. I don't know what to do next?? Can I continue treating them? Should I keep treating all 13 even if seem to be clean? How much should I be giving them? They free range and I'm afraid I now have an epidemic on my hands and I'm worried about then becoming resistant to the Valbazen if I don't eradicate the little pests! Please help!
(PS -- Sorry @Trish1974 for highjacking your thread!)

I haven't found another wormy poop. Do you think that second red poop looks like cocci? I'm only finding 1 odd poop a day. I keep looking. Everyone is acting normal. My biggest worry is over doing it with the little ones.
The odd looking poop does look like coccidiosis.

@casportpony, I could also use your help! I've been deworming my chickens for what seems like months now and I'm at a loss at what else to do. I noticed white, squirming rice looking critters in one of my chickens poop back in February. We dewormed with Wazine but that didn't work so I took a fecal sample to the vet. They told me they had round worms and to treat with Panacur (Safeguard), so we did that treatment but were still seeing the white segments and several of my chicks developed diarrhea and 1/2 of them stopped laying! After some research here, I realized it was tapeworm. I've now dosed them three times with Valbazen (six days apart as recommended in one thread) but I'm still seeing the moving segments. The first time we used appx 1/2 cc oral as recommended in Gail Demarrow's chicken book. After a week we were still seeing them so upped the dosage to just over 1/2 cc. I think they've lost a lot of weight so I was afraid of giving them too much. We gave them the third treatment last week and I'm still seeing the life segments in some (not all) of the chickens stools. I don't know what to do next?? Can I continue treating them? Should I keep treating all 13 even if seem to be clean? How much should I be giving them? They free range and I'm afraid I now have an epidemic on my hands and I'm worried about then becoming resistant to the Valbazen if I don't eradicate the little pests! Please help!
(PS -- Sorry @Trish1974 for highjacking your thread!)
Get some Equimax horse paste and give 0.03 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10-14 days. Equimax has praziquantel, and that's what you need to treat tapeworms. It also has ivermectin, so that might treat large roundworms. Neither are approved use in laying hens, but you don't really have a choice if you want to treat tapes.

Get some Equimax horse paste and give 0.03 ml per pound orally and repeat in 10-14 days. Equimax has praziquantel, and that's what you need to treat tapeworms. It also has ivermectin, so that might treat large roundworms. Neither are approved use in laying hens, but you don't really have a choice if you want to treat tapes.
Thank you! What's your recommended withdrawal period after?

Back
Top Bottom