Questions about intestinal worms

Is there a special Safe Guard for chickens, or use the kind for horses and adjust the dosage? Also, how long do I need to discard the eggs?
Casportpony has stated what is felt to be good.

I will answer your question with what I been using a long time with 1000's of chickens with great results. I use safeguard goat wormer(fendbendazole) and it was recommended my the State Vet when a necropsy was done, but after using it I will highly recommend it personally. I had a bad tape worm problem as well as other worms. The mix I use is 2 1/2ml per quart/10ml per gallon of drinking water-----mixed well----for 3 days mixed fresh every morning. Only mix what they need for the day so you do not waste your medicine. No other water and No free-ranging. Do not eat the eggs for 2 full weeks after the 3 day(I hatch mine). This is what I do and it works. You can decide what you want to do.

I will answer your question with what I been using a long time with 1000's of chickens with great results. I use safeguard goat wormer(fendbendazole) and it was recommended my the State Vet when a necropsy was done, but after using it I will highly recommend it personally. I had a bad tape worm problem as well as other worms. The mix I use is 2 1/2ml per quart/10ml per gallon of drinking water-----mixed well----for 3 days mixed fresh every morning. Only mix what they need for the day so you do not waste your medicine. No other water and No free-ranging. Do not eat the eggs for 2 full weeks after the 3 day(I hatch mine). This is what I do and it works. You can decide what you want to do.
Thank you!

This amount will not treat capillary worms.

I would just like to say that like all outdoor animals, having a zero worm burden is unlikely and unreasonable to maintain. I have occasionally, seen a round worm in my chicken's poop and have not treated them for worms. They are still healthy and laying and have bright combs, so even seeing a worm in their poop does not mean they have an excessive worm burden and it was 8-9 months ago that I saw the roundworm. The odd worm that they do have will come to the end of their life cycle and die and be excreted. A healthy chicken's immune system can and does cope with a low level worm burden. That is not to say that you should not treat them for worms if you feel there is a high infestation.

Your chicken may just not have as bright a comb as your other hens. If she is in good condition (ie has a good covering of flesh on her keel bone), is eating and laying and pooping healthy looking poops and her feathers look healthy (bearing in mind we are coming towards moulting season, so they may be starting to look jaded, then I would not be overly concerned that she has a problem with a worm burden.

That is just my opinion.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Regards

Barbara

@casportpony Looking for an opinion.
I wormed my adults in late April. Went with Valbazen. Hatched eggs early May. Picked up 2 girls early June. The girls were bought NPIP and I watched them get topical wormer. Everyone has been living together since early June.
Today I found 1 wormy poo. I'm guessing it's the chicks. At 9 weeks what dose of Valbazen can they get? I treated everyone for cocci the end of June. I had seen 2 scary poops. I did that for 5 days. Should I worm everyone? It seems really soon to do the adults again.

Are you definitely seeing worms in poop or is it perhaps shed intestinal lining, as that often happens about 9-10 weeks and many people think it is worms... or coccidiosis. 9 weeks is quite young for a worm infestation to be showing in their poop. Can you post a picture of the "wormy poo"? Apologies if you have already positively identified them as worms, rather than just assuming as many people do..... of course the type of worms is also very relevant. The topical application would no doubt be ivermectin which would not treat tapeworms as far as I am aware, so if you are seeing tapeworms, it may be from the NPIP purchased pullets/hens. Knowing what type of worms you saw would help figure it out.

Regards

Barbara

I disposed of the poo. They were definitely worms. (Unless they got into some spaghetti.) I've seen the intestinal lining before. I treated for cocci when I saw 2 pretty bloody looking poop 2 days in row. It was only 1 poop a day but with young ones 1 poop was too many.
If I happen to see another wormy poop I'll get a picture. If the littles will be ok to be wormed I'll do that.
Would the other 2 girls be ok getting Valbazen a month after get the Ivermectin? I don't want to tax their system.
Can I skip the adults? With the small size of the poop I really don't think it's any of them. I clean the coop at least once a day.

Back
Top Bottom