Questions about kits

Sewade08

Hatching
Feb 25, 2021
My doe just kindled a few days ago. This is our first time to have baby bunnies. Ive read its common for some or all to die but when are they “safe” from dying? She had 8 babies and they are now 2 days old now. No stillborns, all look good. I would assume that by a week old we would be in the safe zone but just wanted to ask someone who may know more information.

I would guess they are OK. I would make sure the doe is not disturbed or stressed. If a doe gets stressed she may neglect or even kill her babies. If I were you, once a day I would distract the doe with a treat like a lettuce leaf or piece of carrot so you can do a quick check of the litter and remove any dead ones. Other than that, leave her alone. By the way, when the bunnies come out of the nest, do not feed them any greens. Doing so can give them indigestion and may even kill them.

I would guess they are OK. I would make sure the doe is not disturbed or stressed. If a doe gets stressed she may neglect or even kill her babies. If I were you, once a day I would distract the doe with a treat like a lettuce leaf or piece of carrot so you can do a quick check of the litter and remove any dead ones. Other than that, leave her alone. By the way, when the bunnies come out of the nest, do not feed them any greens. Doing so can give them indigestion and may I h
I would guess they are OK. I would make sure the doe is not disturbed or stressed. If a doe gets stressed she may neglect or even kill her babies. If I were you, once a day I would distract the doe with a treat like a lettuce leaf or piece of carrot so you can do a quick check of the litter and remove any dead ones. Other than that, leave her alone. By the way, when the bunnies come out of the nest, do not feed them any greens. Doing so can give them indigestion and may even kill them.
I have already been giving her a treat to do a quick count and check once a day. She is inside right now but wondering if I go ahead a move them outside if she will be happier?

Don’t move the doe it will stress her.

I think it is fine to let the kits eat greens, I would let them eat anything that the doe does, in the wild rabbits only eat greens so I think it is fine, they will start eating small bits slowly eating more as they get older.

by about 4 weeks is when I would say there is less of a chance something will happen to the kits.

Don’t move the doe it will stress her.

I think it is fine to let the kits eat greens, I would let them eat anything that the doe does, in the wild rabbits only eat greens so I think it is fine, they will start eating small bits slowly eating more as they get older.

by about 4 weeks is when I would say there is less of a chance something will happen to the kits.
The greens won't hurt the baby rabbits unless they do. Sometimes you may feed them with no ill effects. However, if you feed greens and the babies end up with diarrhea and some of them dead, the greens are the likely cause. In other words, you pays your money and you takes your choice. That said, there is no point asking for trouble and feeding greens to young baby rabbits is just asking for trouble.

I raise my rabbits on grass in a colony and I’ve never had any baby bunny die from diarrhea. I guess if you are raising them in a non-natural, caged environment it might be an issue, but it has never been a problem in my experience.

Like most animals, if they are exposed to things from day 1 it’s less of a shock to the system than introducing them later.

My experience has been if they are all thriving on day 4, they will be fine barring any accidents such as being latched to the doe and being dragged out of the nest box.​
We had an accident this morning. I haven’t checked on them again today because I have a hurt dog I’ve had to get checked out. Our cat managed to stick her paw into the pen and pull a baby out. It only had a scratch on its ear but it was kind of starting to get cold. We just put it back with mom. I’ll try and check them when we get home.

We had an accident this morning. I haven’t checked on them again today because I have a hurt dog I’ve had to get checked out. Our cat managed to stick her paw into the pen and pull a baby out. It only had a scratch on its ear but it was kind of starting to get cold. We just put it back with mom. I’ll try and check them when we get home.
Hope its okay :fl

Back
Top Bottom