Questions about laying hens.....are they ok?

ChickPeas

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Iron Station, NC
Since we had our first egg this morning, I started wondering...

Do you think it might be stressful or confusing to a hen the first time she lays? Do you think it "feels" like a natural process to them?

Or maybe they get this weird feeling and think HOLY MOLY, what IS that in me and how do I get it OUT?!
ep.gif

It's got to be a big deal for them-yes? no?

I want to make sure laying eggs is a pleasant experience for my chickens, not a stressful one, so any advice or suggestions would be great. Obviously I'm new to this and need help understanding the process.
roll.png

Also, they've never been de-wormed...I was thinking of taking a fecal smaple to my vet to have it checked...can worms be passed on through the hens eggs?

In rare instances, yes. I've read that it's VERY rare...someone on this forum had it happen to them, I'd have to find it, though. A fecal is a very good way to determine worms, most people just worm periodically just in case. As far as the egg laying goes, well, do humans experience any discomfort or whatever when we ovulate? Nope, it's just a normal part of the cycle. Now, the end of the cycle on the other hand....It's just a part of life, and the hens have instincts that tell them what's going on. How else would my never-been-around-older-chickens leghorn know to make a nest and lay an egg in it??? I think your chickens are fine!

It's funny, alot of women don't feel ovulation, but I know when I do and on which side! It's called mittelschmerz.

Anyway, I just want them to be ok..I don't want them to get freaked out or anything....maybe it's just like taking a poop for them? They just get the urge and go?
lol.png

The first egg or two they might not realize something's going to come out (hence you often find the first few eggs on the floor of the chicken run, under the roost etc). But pretty soon they get the idea and you'll see them trying out the nest when they feel the urge. If I'm cleaning the coop the chicken that needs to lay will come and "hang around" waiting for me to leave. They never seem discombobulated before or after the event, so they're alright. Realize also the poop comes out of the same exit as the egg. I once watched one of my Brahmas settle into the nest, only to get out and turn around, and back and forth changing directions for quite a while, trying to figure it all out. My chickens like privacy and get off the nest if they're interrupted or if I open up the coop door. Two of my chickens loudly announce as soon as they've laid an egg (Bawk bawk bawk bawk), and one lays eggs completely on the sly. They seem quite proud of themselves.

Quote:
lol.png

I think that roos praise the hens. If you dont have any roos and you hear them cackle just go in there and say OOOH What A Lovely egg good girl. they like that!

One of my girls, Corey, is in the coop now nesting. I don't know how long she should be in there before I'll start to panic. I'm already getting visions of her becoming egg bound or something.
hmm.png

I got her in early March, a NHR.

The roo of her flock, IRis, is pacing and bupping about at the outside of the coop and another hen, Melanie, keeps going in and standing next to her...I wonder if she's appointed herself as the mid-wife or maybe she wants to lay too?

I dunno..this whole thing floors me...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom