QUESTIONS ABOUT LOCAL PREDITORS BEFORE I RECIEVE MY NEW CHICKS

Which Will Be The Most Dangerous To My New Flock?

• Skunks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Javalinas

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coyotes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Snakes

• Scorpions

• Tarantulas

• Total voters
Yep.

The one we have around here has decimated most of the flocks of our neighbors who let their chickens free range all the time, He's young and has been here for the better part of a year at least. He's been shot at numerous times, comes in at any time of day and is very fast. My neighbors dog has treed him several times but she never gets a good shot at him. He's still afraid of humans at this point, but I hope somebody gets him soon because he's just hanging around waiting for a chicken dinner all the time. I saw him around 5:00 PM yesterday just staring through the fence at my poor chickens. By the time we got out there with a gun he was gone, but probably not too far away.

Wow that so much sounds like a Bob Cat for sure just a couple of nights before I took this
photo I got one of the Bob Cats and as the one was flying up in the air from the blast of the
12 Gauge three more went in all directions it was a sight to remember ......... But yes they
will sit just under a bush feet from you and never make a sound but once you leave the
utter destruction continues .........

I heard German Shepherds are great dogs to have to watch/protect your chickens :) plus they are HUGE! :) Im not allowed to have a dog... (my dad owns my house) but he said i could have chickens so thats a reason we are doing it... they are going to be our pets :)

They make really great pets! We love our chickens more than I ever imagined!

I'll have to look into the German Shepherds. Right now we have a Queensland Heeler and a Pit Bull/Boxer mix, but they have never been expected to "earn" their living, although my Queensland takes anything we give him to do very seriously, even playing with the frisbee. Lol!

I was born and raised in the Prescott area, I love it up there!

Don't underestimate skunks. They want to eat chicken eggs and could attack the hens as well. They are great diggers and I've had them dig a tunnel through hard clay to enter the floor of my chicken coop! SO I now have a mesh floor covered with 8" of dirt to protect the hens' feet.

Wow that so much sounds like a Bob Cat for sure just a couple of nights before I took this
photo I got one of the Bob Cats and as the one was flying up in the air from the blast of the
12 Gauge three more went in all directions it was a sight to remember ......... But yes they
will sit just under a bush feet from you and never make a sound but once you leave the
utter destruction continues .........
OMG! You had four all together? Yikes!

I never leave my chickens outside of their pen alone anymore. I know he's lurking all the time, after last night we are going to take the gun with us whenever we go outside.

Don't underestimate skunks. They want to eat chicken eggs and could attack the hens as well. They are great diggers and I've had them dig a tunnel through hard clay to enter the floor of my chicken coop! SO I now have a mesh floor covered with 8" of dirt to protect the hens' feet.

I didn't know that about skunks. I knew they would eat the eggs, but not about them attacking chickens. We built our coop off the ground, but we do have lots of skunks!

They make really great pets! We love our chickens more than I ever imagined!

I'll have to look into the German Shepherds. Right now we have a Queensland Heeler and a Pit Bull/Boxer mix, but they have never been expected to "earn" their living, although my Queensland takes anything we give him to do very seriously, even playing with the frisbee. Lol!

I was born and raised in the Prescott area, I love it up there!
:) if you were born and raised up here im sure you know what the outskirts are like im out in spring valley... so if u took the 17 to the prescott exit im right off it... german shepherds are great... loyal...smart... just awesome dogs! (i know i have had two)

My most recent german shepherd memory is of one walking me up the neighbor's driveway with his teeth firmly attached to the back pocket of my jeans when I was a teen. For some reason, I'm not too fond of that particular breed. I have no doubt they would be a good guard dog!

:) if you were born and raised up here im sure you know what the outskirts are like im out in spring valley... so if u took the 17 to the prescott exit im right off it... german shepherds are great... loyal...smart... just awesome dogs! (i know i have had two)

Yes! I lived in Spring Valley for a couple of years back I the 90's.

We aren't that far from you now, we live over on the east side of I-17 north of Cordes way out in the boonies!

Back
Top Bottom