Questions about Mareks

ChickieShelly

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2018
Okay, I'm new to chickens but I've been in veterinary medicine for almost 20 years. Well, I foolishly got a new chicken ( Whiting true blue) and brought her into my flock about 2 weeks ago. She is about 3-4 months old and has been completely healthy up until this point. Suddenly today new chicken is down. Chicken has no proprioception reflects in her right foot, right-wing seems to have some paralysis as well, left leg seems to be overcompensating for the lack of right. Leg and foot palpate completely normal , no signs of crepitation or swelling anywhere in the leg/foot. Pupils are equal and normal , chicken is bright and alert just floppy and not walking. Hopefully the video will post for y'alls opinion.

My first fear goes to Marek's. But I've never seen a confirmed case of mareks. I know the only thing for true diagnosis of Marek's is a necropsy, but I'm trying to not be over dramatic and jump to worst case scenario. The rest of my flock is about 6 months old, I've had them since they were freshly hatched peepers, purchased from a local feed store and vaccine history unknown. They're all strong and healthy, and have been non-symptomatic since I've had them.

New chicken has been in the coop with my others with a barrier during the day and roosting with them in the evening to prevent picking on her, but can't completely rule out injury. If this is Mareks, have I given my whole flock this virus? Do I cull her to protect them or continue to isolate and see of she improves because they've already been exposed?

Attachments

• 20180902_155735.jpg
    20180902_155735.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180902_181846.jpg
    20180902_181846.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome! Other things could be causing her issues, and I hope it isn't Marek's disease too. I think there's a blood test, check with your state vet path lab about it. If it is Marek's disease, your flock and ground are already contaminated.
Years ago I had a scare like this, had a necropsy done at the state lab, and it turned out to be something else. It was worth the money to me to get that information, either way. If it's not Marek's disease, that's great. If it is, you can manage your flock with that in mind.
Feed store chicks are never vaccinated against Marek's disease, in my experience. Call and ask what their policy is to be sure.
Mary

Thank you Mary for your reply! Because i work on the veterinary field and have access to the state labs through work, I'll look into the blood testing for sure but so far only looks like necropsy. I have her in the house now isolated, even though I know the others are already exposed to her. I gave her a dose of meloxicam for pain/inflammation, just incase of injury but really seen any improvement. I do want to know for sure, I just prefer blood testing over necropsy unless that's the only option.

Is it possible, if this is the dreaded M-word, that my other ones could be okay and not break with it because they're older? I get that things would be contaminated still, and hatching chicks would be a bad idea, but as far as my young hens/ older pullets (6-8 months old), are they likely to break with this to? And if so and they never show any symptoms, would my hens now still be considered lifelong carriers?

Hi

Sorry to hear that your new bird is not well. Marek's is extremely common and the nature of her presenting with symptoms just after moving to a new home is a common trigger. Not saying it is Marek's but it is the most likely cause of her problems. PCR testing of blood or a plucked feather shaft should be possible, but you will need to enquire. Other state labs may offer that service even if your own does not.

Marek's has a minimum 3 week dormancy period between infection and the appearance of symptoms, so it is still too early for your own birds to show any signs of it. The dormant period can be much longer though. Stress triggers an outbreak, so avoiding stressful situations as much as possible is important. Weaning from a broody, moving brooder chicks outdoors, integration into a larger flock, surge of hormones at point of lay and harassment by a hormonal adolescent cockerel are the most common triggers, but moult in older birds or confinement due to prolonged bad weather like in winter can also cause an outbreak in some older birds..... what stresses one bird will not necessarily stress another.

I believe that birds only shed the Marek's virus when they are symptomatic (the same as people with the cold sore virus.... both are Herpes viruses), so isolating this new sick girl was a good move. You want to keep the level of infective material in your flock's environment as low as possible to minimize the risk. The virus is spread by the inhalation of infected dander dust. This can be carried on your clothes, hair and skin between the sick bird and your flock so tend your own flock first and then the sick bird and perhaps keep separate outer clothes and a hat/hair cover for when you tend the sick bird and wash afterwards.

Good luck. I hope it is not Marek's but even if it is, it is certainly not a death sentence. I have been dealing with the disease for over 3 years and whilst each loss is heart breaking, some do recover from outbreaks (although they will always be prone to further attacks) and I broody rear chicks within my Marek's exposed flock and the majority survive..... at least until I butcher the surplus adolescent males..:hmm. I do have a mild strain of the disease though and I know other peoples' experiences with hotter strains can be more drastic.

Please keep us posted with how things turn out and the result of any testing if you are able to get it done and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.... hopefully we have covered the ones you already asked....

Back
Top Bottom