Questions about minimum (25) chick orders

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I was wondering if anyone on this board has shared a chick order with another fellow message board poster in their area? I would like to place an order but don't need 25 chicks. However the only place that has all the chicks I'd like to order has the 25 chick minimum. Is sharing an order something you would recommend? If not, what would you do? Is it better to re-home the chicks on Craigslist (not something I'm sure about doing)? Please share your experiences, suggestions, etc.

As an aside, the reason I'm considering placing an order with a hatchery is because the local feed store where I put in a request for chicks doesn't know that they'll be able to get the chick types I requested- buff orpingtons, golden laced wyandottes- anytime soon. When I asked for clarification on why, they were vague with the information. I don't want to wait too long and miss my chance to get my brood established for this year so I feel like I should consider ordering the chicks myself. Maybe I'm overthinking things...

Lydia

sure going in with 2 or 3 people to order chicks is a good idea.i went with 3 or 4 friends a few years ago an odered chicks.an it worked good for me.

Ideal only has a $20 minimum! But most hatcheries are out for awhile, that is also why your feed store told you it may take awhile. Ideal has breeds that will be ready for ordering in June, just keep checking their website! Goodluck on getting your chicks!

A lot of people in my town apparently group together every year. The woman who runs the 4-H club coordinates.

Back
Top Bottom