Questions about month old poult

Chantal

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 15, 2013
Willard, KY
About a wk ago we acquired 2 one month old poults. They seemed to be happy, playful, no real health problems. Monday I woke to one of them no longer alive in it's cage. We kept the two together in the same cage outside. It had gotten a little cool that night, 54*. There was no rhyme or reason to his death. The evening before he was up running around chirping his little heart out, then he was dead. I was curious if I should be worried about the other poult. Hadn't really noticed him acting sickly but his stool has been a little runny today. Also we've been feeding them Manna Pro Gamebird food since it was labeled on the back as a starter/grower. I didn't know if this may have had anything to do with it as some ppl feed chick starter til they get a little bigger. Any advice is much appreciated.

54 degrees? Starter/GROWER for a one month old?

If it were me, I would be concerned about the VERY low temps and the feed. Seems a little too soon to feed "GROWER" to a one month old poult. But that's just me.

It could be that they got too chilled. Do you have a heat lamp for them? At 4 weeks old they still need temps of roughly 75-80 degrees. I keep a heat lamp on mine until they are about 6-8 weeks old depending on nighttime lows.

This is our first experience with young poults. Yeah looking back on it now that may have not been the best food to feed it but my boyfriend insisted that it would be fine. I went to Southern States today and got food that is more suited to his needs. It was unseasonably cool the other night and had been during the days. High 70's thru the days and then hit 54* that night.

Last edited:
I agree, too cold for a fragile turkey poult! That was probably what killed it, the chill! Sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
At that age, I feed 28% Turkey or wild game feed, never chick starter or grower. Not enough protein.

I agree, too cold for a fragile turkey poult! That was probably what killed it, the chill! Sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
At that age, I feed 28% Turkey or wild game feed, never chick starter or grower. Not enough protein.
What about when raising poults and chicks together? Is it better to feed the poult less protein or the chick more protein? I have had instances where I have to raise them together and Im never quite sure what to do.

Today was better. He had a small amount of blood in his stool this morning when we checked on him first thing. The rest of the day his stool seemed to appear normal and he was up running around his cage. We wound up going to Southern States yesterday and getting him the Game Bird Starter with 28% protein. I made sure to ask before we purchased it what the protein levels were. Also made another call last night to keep him in our insulated garage as opposed to outside.

Well after a couple days now the little fella seems to be still passing some blood. Is this something I should be concerned about? I kinda thought it might just be where we switched his feed over to a medicated food with a higher protein level but I'm starting to wonder now. Also at what age do u normally deworm one? We did our older turkey a few weeks ago but he was 4 months old when we got him.

Back
Top Bottom