Questions about my 3 chickens!

mylittleava

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Indiana
I've bought 3 chickens from Rural King in February. They're going on 15 weeks Weds. They were 3 days old when we brought them home and not seperated since. I have an Araucana hen named Voodoo, Black New Jersey Giant hen named Grace, and a ISA Brown hen named Chica. So I guess my first question is... Chica is obviously the boss, but when I take the other two out of sight she gets what looks to us VERY angry. Why??
My next questian is my coop has only two nesting boxes... Will they share? When will they start laying? Will their bond and them having always cuddled together keep them from laying??

I've bought 3 chickens from Rural King in February. They're going on 15 weeks Weds. They were 3 days old when we brought them home and not seperated since. I have an Araucana hen named Voodoo, Black New Jersey Giant hen named Grace, and a ISA Brown hen named Chica. So I guess my first question is... Chica is obviously the boss, but when I take the other two out of sight she gets what looks to us VERY angry. Why??
My next questian is my coop has only two nesting boxes... Will they share? When will they start laying? Will their bond and them having always cuddled together keep them from laying??

Welcome to BYC.
Voodoo, while sold as an Araucana is actually going to be an EE - they are often misrepresented by hatcheries and the retailer (I love Rural King) is simply passing on the product they ordered and taking the hatchery at their word it is what it was supposed to be. There are no commercial hatcheries in operation that breed and sell true Araucana. Good news is that EE lay the same "pretty eggs" and are actually more prolific layers than Araucana.
Chica is upset because you are taking away her flock mates, it's as simple as that. This is especially true if you are removing both at the same time as chickens don't like to be alone.
Your coop will have plenty of nesting space. Generally speaking it is recommended to have one box for every 4 chickens. Sometimes multiple hens will use the same box at the same time, other times one hen will simply wait until the box she wants to use is available or she'll move to the next available box, just depends on how pressing her need is.
The breeds you have should begin laying sometimes between 18 and 28 weeks, give or take - there really is no magic age, it's like human females reaching puberty -- some go early and some go late. None of the breeds you chose are particularly slow to develop. No, their bond will not impede production.

Back
Top Bottom