1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duckie97, Dec 1, 2014.

1. duckie97

duckie97 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    Would it be ok if my nesting boxes were directly under a window that's for summer use only? And should it have a top or can they just be open? Also do they have to have a divider between boxes or ca. It be just one long box

2. BetterCluckNext

BetterCluckNext Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, California
    I don't know about the window but I do know you should have a divider. They like there own space and to big of a nesting box is stressful. I really hope this helps, good luck:D

3. magpiebirdie

magpiebirdie New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I've heard that you should keep the boxes out of a drafty area but as long as the boxes had a "roof" on top, I would think that should be ok. The Chicken Chick has her nesting boxes under a window - her girls seem pretty happy!

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hens chose nesting sights with an eye to hatching eggs. A secluded area with dividers between individual hens and a roof overhead to assure the hen that she is in no danger of becoming hawk poop for the 21 plus days a hen needs to incubate and hatch off a clutch of eggs.. This reduces stress and helps insure that the hen will return to lay where she laid before because she feels safe there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by