Questions about owning horses

I agree that it is sad when this is the choice that has to be made, but it's not about convenience. It's about $$$$$$ (which horses take a lot of) and time (which they also take a lot of). I have seen this many times from the other end - the board gets paid every month, the horse gets its feet done, etc, when other horses in the barn get done, but the owner simply hasn't the time to come see it. The horse may be perfectly happy being pastured with his buds, but he isn't being used, his skills are getting rusty, he's getting fat and lazy, and at some point, the owner says, "y'know, I like Ol' Blue, but I'm spending over $6000/year* on something I only see every once in a while. I'm already run off my feet; I'm tired of feeling guilty over this huge drain in my pocket that I get basically nothing from." Should a person only buy a horse when they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be able to keep it for 30+ years? That's a heckuva lotta commitment; most marriages don't last that long.:confused:

*This is very, very basic board, pasture trim (no shoes), and shots in my area. It can certainly go a lot higher.

Agreed. One must also assess their long term financial goals - including retirement, regardless of age -- $6000 a year around here wouldn't get you much- that's maybe a field - no riding facility, no stall, maybe a run-in shelter - and (here) your farrier, vet, and anything beyond the space in the pasture (hay, grain) would be on you to buy.

$6,000 going out the door is a big deal when looking at the big picture and how horse ownership fits into it. The other consideration is if a person has to relocate- they might have been able to afford a property suitable for a horse in city A … but move to city B and it might be a WHOLE other ballgame.

There are lots of ways to be around horses and ride without buying - I think many leases and half-leases are born out of these kinds of circumstances. Kid graduates and leaves for college but can't take the horse with them but doesn't want to sell … Owner gets married then starts a family … someone gets injured - a parent loses a job and can't afford to keep the kid's horse … someone gets a new job that involves travel - the list goes on and on and on. Life happens.

Change is hard for everyone, but the well-being of those who have no say in the change cannot be overstated. The important thing is the horse gets looked after and loved.

When i said that i meant people who have their own barn more of the owners who do not. I find that owners who board dont get to to spend as much time with the horse (some times its the owners fault sometimes not), but when the horse lives on the same property and in the same barn its entire life in on your property (like my girls) you do not give them up until its your health and you have to. That's what i was taught anyway. If you can't afford it, then leave it for someone else who can. Not only will it break your heart, but your horses too once that bond is formed.

But I started digging when I wanted to expand my education on riding. I wanted to learn to jump but was intrigued by something called Dressage. So most of my reading was Colonel Alois Podhajsky, "The Complete Training of horse and Rider"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Podhajsky
He ran the Vienna Riding school for many years after winning the Gold medal at the olympics in 1930's.
I read Charles De kumfy s book "Creative horsemanship" Which followed most of the traditional Dressage taught by Colonel Podhajsky....

deb

In my humble opinion, the absolute pinnacle of horsemanship is exemplified in the Classical Riders of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. :thumbsup

In my humble opinion, the absolute pinnacle of horsemanship is exemplified in the Classical Riders of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. :thumbsup
Many good riders use the very same techniques. Not only is it natural but form of communication that is drivin by the hors's needs.

I was hopelessly clumsy and uncooordinated. But Took lessons From Lurena Bell when she was about eighteen... I learned how to keep my horse from leaping out into traffic and to listen to what I wanted to do. But progressed enough to go to a clinic run by one of Charles De Cumfy's protoges.... Who Liked my horse but didnt like me... LOL.

One of our field trips we got to see Hilda Gurney Ride Keen As well as See Lurena Ride her cowpony in Prix St Georges.... Brandy was 20 ish and a running quarter... He could do passage and Tiempe changes....

Bout that time I realized I wasnt devoted enough to do more than Just improve my riding.

Lurena taught me how to drive and how to train my boy to be a driving horse. And I was hooked.

deb

Many good riders use the very same techniques. Not only is it natural but form of communication that is drivin by the hors's needs.

I was hopelessly clumsy and uncooordinated. But Took lessons From Lurena Bell when she was about eighteen... I learned how to keep my horse from leaping out into traffic and to listen to what I wanted to do. But progressed enough to go to a clinic run by one of Charles De Cumfy's protoges.... Who Liked my horse but didnt like me... LOL.

One of our field trips we got to see Hilda Gurney Ride Keen As well as See Lurena Ride her cowpony in Prix St Georges.... Brandy was 20 ish and a running quarter... He could do passage and Tiempe changes....

Bout that time I realized I wasnt devoted enough to do more than Just improve my riding.

Lurena taught me how to drive and how to train my boy to be a driving horse. And I was hooked.

deb

Incredibly neat that you got to see Hilda and Keen in the flesh. She was a real pioneer of American Dressage. As a dressage enthusiast myself, I'm very grateful for all of her work and contributions.

I was really fortunate to be able to spend an entire week watching a rider from the Spanish Riding School teach. A horse group brought him over from Austria, and while I was only able to audit his clinic, it was still a joy and a little bit intimidating!

Driving makes me a little nervous. I really like being on the back of the carriage as weight/leverage/balance for the CDE type of driving--that is thrilling! But taking up the reins...not really my favorite. I just got back from Equine Affaire in OH and there was a team of 6 Percherons hitched up--very impressive and they had to start harnessing 2 hours before the event! Practically need an army for that amount of work! But it paid off as it was a nice performance!

Driving makes me a little nervous. I really like being on the back of the carriage as weight/leverage/balance for the CDE type of driving--that is thrilling! But taking up the reins...not really my favorite. I just got back from Equine Affaire in OH and there was a team of 6 Percherons hitched up--very impressive and they had to start harnessing 2 hours before the event! Practically need an army for that amount of work! But it paid off as it was a nice performance!
LOL one of my previous stable owners raised and trained Cutting horses... Got her in my little pedunk metal cart behind my dead broke Arab Gelding..... OMG She turned white almost bit through her cigarette.... and had a death grip on the tubing front ....

Yep its long distance communication... and you have to have a good idea of what your horse needs.... But.... here is the big one. YOu can tell if they are using their haunches properly and encourage hip engagement.... I could turn my Gelding hitched to the cart and leave a circle in the dirt one foot in diameter.... Cant counterflex for that nor can they have stiff shoulders and back..... either.

There are a couple of tried and tested rules for Driving horses... NEVER drive a hitched horse from the GRound ... EVER. Know how and when to use the break. The horses must know Halt cute and obey it every time..... Also its best to remember the amount of danger that can happen if you get complacent. Even from that dead broke horse called Dobbin.

The most dangerous parts is in transition moving from Harnessed to Hitched. I can hitch my girl by myself but am not comfortable doing it... I would rather have someone head her up even if they dont know anything about harnessing. But thats my girl.

I been Dragged by the foot when I tripped over a pole I was practicing with.... I been Trampled when I got complacent and was unhitching out of order....

This is why I say I am not a trainer.... I have made some Novice mistakes even though I was an advanced rider/driver/caregiver.... I have had seven horses my whole fifty years... Helped a few people with issues... Even rode a rank Thoroughbred and found his Aha point... which stunned his owner to no end.

But There is nothing greater than coming to gether as a single unit of communication... Dressage gives you that...

I used to say...
I once sat on the horse and turned him and stopped him and called it riding...
Then I was well seated on the saddle while riding the horse....
Then I was Riding the horse.... saddle and bridle were secondary... I have only had moments in my life when I felt that freedom and communication.

The same achievement can happen with harness. Those big guys take a team to hitch a team.... One person each to harness the horses up. Each of those horse person teams come together to Hitch the horses to gether.... Then one person directs the team of horses to back to the vehicle and the other person hooks the traces. There are other straps that attach to the breast and team pole but I dont know what they are called. I have only ever driven a single.

But A six horse hitch is a doosy.... Had an online friend Who owned Ferascii Percherons... met her at Del Mar... The wheelers for her hitch were three years old and a good solid nineteen hands.... Belive me Those horses were very well behaved.

Notice the moment the first pair of drafts are hitched the Driver climbs in the seat and is handed the reins.... Safety Safety safety.

deb

LOL one of my previous stable owners raised and trained Cutting horses... Got her in my little pedunk metal cart behind my dead broke Arab Gelding..... OMG She turned white almost bit through her cigarette.... and had a death grip on the tubing front ....

Yep its long distance communication... and you have to have a good idea of what your horse needs.... But.... here is the big one. YOu can tell if they are using their haunches properly and encourage hip engagement.... I could turn my Gelding hitched to the cart and leave a circle in the dirt one foot in diameter.... Cant counterflex for that nor can they have stiff shoulders and back..... either.

There are a couple of tried and tested rules for Driving horses... NEVER drive a hitched horse from the GRound ... EVER. Know how and when to use the break. The horses must know Halt cute and obey it every time..... Also its best to remember the amount of danger that can happen if you get complacent. Even from that dead broke horse called Dobbin.

The most dangerous parts is in transition moving from Harnessed to Hitched. I can hitch my girl by myself but am not comfortable doing it... I would rather have someone head her up even if they dont know anything about harnessing. But thats my girl.

I been Dragged by the foot when I tripped over a pole I was practicing with.... I been Trampled when I got complacent and was unhitching out of order....

This is why I say I am not a trainer.... I have made some Novice mistakes even though I was an advanced rider/driver/caregiver.... I have had seven horses my whole fifty years... Helped a few people with issues... Even rode a rank Thoroughbred and found his Aha point... which stunned his owner to no end.

But There is nothing greater than coming to gether as a single unit of communication... Dressage gives you that...

I used to say...
I once sat on the horse and turned him and stopped him and called it riding...
Then I was well seated on the saddle while riding the horse....
Then I was Riding the horse.... saddle and bridle were secondary... I have only had moments in my life when I felt that freedom and communication.

The same achievement can happen with harness. Those big guys take a team to hitch a team.... One person each to harness the horses up. Each of those horse person teams come together to Hitch the horses to gether.... Then one person directs the team of horses to back to the vehicle and the other person hooks the traces. There are other straps that attach to the breast and team pole but I dont know what they are called. I have only ever driven a single.

But A six horse hitch is a doosy.... Had an online friend Who owned Ferascii Percherons... met her at Del Mar... The wheelers for her hitch were three years old and a good solid nineteen hands.... Belive me Those horses were very well behaved.

Notice the moment the first pair of drafts are hitched the Driver climbs in the seat and is handed the reins.... Safety Safety safety.

deb

If you haven't found the show "Gentle Giants" you should check it out. We found it after we moved to an area where Direct TV is the one and only provider- lots of neat channels. Anyway, thought you might check it out. They follow teams throughout the country at competitions and at working farms (logging/Christmas trees etc).

If you haven't found the show "Gentle Giants" you should check it out. We found it after we moved to an area where Direct TV is the one and only provider- lots of neat channels. Anyway, thought you might check it out. They follow teams throughout the country at competitions and at working farms (logging/Christmas trees etc).
I have seen many on YouTube.... Unfortunately the Cable service I have is very minimal.
Rural Heratige website has links to many.

I fell in love with drafts when i went to The fair and walked through the Draft horse barn... Here was a HUGE belgian Standing in his box stall Watching the goings on... All that held him in was a Web stall guard held up by Eye bolts and spring clips... All he had to do was push out...

Then I saw him in the horse pull competition.... OH MY GAWD....

deb

I agree that it is sad when this is the choice that has to be made, but it's not about convenience. It's about $$$$$$ (which horses take a lot of) and time (which they also take a lot of). I have seen this many times from the other end - the board gets paid every month, the horse gets its feet done, etc, when other horses in the barn get done, but the owner simply hasn't the time to come see it. The horse may be perfectly happy being pastured with his buds, but he isn't being used, his skills are getting rusty, he's getting fat and lazy, and at some point, the owner says, "y'know, I like Ol' Blue, but I'm spending over $6000/year* on something I only see every once in a while. I'm already run off my feet; I'm tired of feeling guilty over this huge drain in my pocket that I get basically nothing from." Should a person only buy a horse when they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be able to keep it for 30+ years? That's a heckuva lotta commitment; most marriages don't last that long.:confused:

*This is very, very basic board, pasture trim (no shoes), and shots in my area. It can certainly go a lot higher.
Yes, they should only buy a horse with that level of commitment. You shouldn't get an animal you can't guarantee to care for its whole life. It's like dumping a dog at the shelter once it stops being a puppy. I think it's sad how many people don't understand that commitment and dump the animal when they realize how much work it is. Animals are a lifetime commitment, and even if someone's spouse divorces them, their horse never will because they give unconditional love and trust. If you should get a horse it should stay with you. Animals deserve lifetime care. - which is why I'm a big proponent of people leasing. Still get horse time, but they aren't dependent on one person who will stop visiting if too busy.

There is a caveat here with committment.... The committment also goes into admitting that the situation may change and when Things become unteneble The committment means Finding Good forever homes as best as you can for your animals.

I have only ever sold One horse... We werent a good match. I couldnt give him what he needed was full time committment to work. An Off the track Thorougbred Sweet as can be started well in dressage. Good leggs good mind I tried the leas it didnt work out. So I found him a hunter jumper home.

Each of my others passed on in various ways .... At the ripe old age of fourteen I chose that my 25 year old gelding with Ring bone need not suffer any more. I had him put down.
My next mare died at sixteen.... Hepatitis
My next mare died at thirteen.... A Gastrolyth
Her son died at fifteen.... Cancer
My mare now is being lovingly cared for at a retirement facility... Shes 25... If I can be "able enough" to care for her I will bring her home. But the agreement with the facility is she has a place there for life if need be.

deb

Back
Top Bottom