Questions about owning horses

MochaDuck

Crowing
Jun 7, 2018
Hi everyone. I've been wanting a horse since I was 4. I'm probably not going to be able to get one in the foreseeable future, but I want to be prepared for when I do.
1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.) Things like brushes and blankets alone have about 5 million variations of each, and I don't know what's necessary, and what's just nice to have.
2. How often should you ride your horse? (I'm wanting a horse about the size of a quarter horse if that helps)
3. What are good companion animals for horses? I wanted to get a goat with a horse, but I want to make sure it's a good match first.
4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed?
5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those?
6. What's a good horse age for a beginner to get a horse? I'm wanting a gelding that has experience being ridden, but is still young.
7. How often should you groom a horse?
8. How often should you muck out the stall?
9. How often should you change their shoes?
10. Do they really need shoes?

I'm gonna add a couple more questions:
11. What are some good beginners horse keeping books and/or websites?
12. What's the best bedding for a horse?
13. Is it cheaper to board your horse or to keep it at your home (if your able)?

Thank you all for your help! :D

I may have more questions later. If anyone else has questions feel free to post them here!

Last edited:
Hi there! I have ridden and owned horses my entire life, my mom was a trainer and riding instructor, and I still train and teach lessons part time as well as ride competitively. Here are my answers to your questions, and then some advice I hope you take to heart at the end!

1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.)
Bare minimum is a halter a lead rope, a good stiff brush, hoof pick, and a basic first-aid kit. Beyond that it really depends on what you want to do with said horse. (More extensive grooming kit, saddle, bridle, pads, etc.) IMHO, if you are keeping your horse at your own house you really need a truck and trailer of your own in case of emergency as well.

2. How often should you ride your horse? Size of horse doesn't matter when deciding how much exercise it needs. For a horse to remain well behaved, riding several times a week is generally best, at least 3 times would be pretty good, though up to 6 times a week is fine for the horse. A lot of this does depend on the horse's temperament, training, and your riding goals.

3. What are good companion animals for horses? The best companion for a horse is another horse. Some horses do bond with goats or other animals but they are a herd animal that really prefers their own kind.'

4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed? Most commercial horse feeds are well-formulated for horses, some are specialized for older horses or horses in strenuous work. Most horses really don't need a grain/pelleted feed, but it adds a concentrated source of nutrients that can make up for what their hay or pasture is lacking.

5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those? Ideally a horse will eat MOSTLY good grass and good hay. It should make up the majority of their diet! Some horses (ponies and older horses especially) can be sensitive to fresh grass, but a good grass hay is the best feed you can provide your horse.

6. What's a good age for a beginner to get a horse? Age of horse or age of rider? The best age of horse is very subjective based on the horse. A 10-15+ year old horse that has been well trained is what I would recommend for a beginner rider. A horse is not like a puppy where the horse and rider can really grow and learn together, (green + green = black and blue is an old equestrian saying), it's more like a first car- you want your 16 year old to have something reliable but not too flashy or speedy! Save the sports car for when you're more experienced.

7. How often should you groom a horse? Grooming is good for the health of the horse's coat and skin, but also allows you to look over the horse for any wounds or irregularities, and gives you time to get to know each other. Horses can be groomed every day and must be groomed before you ride.

8. How often should you muck out the stall? If your horse is kept in a stall the stall needs to be cleaned every day. It keeps the task manageable and keeps the stall environment healthy.

9. How often should you change their shoes? Horses need hoof maintenance every 4-6 weeks if they're wearing shoes and 6-8 weeks if they are barefoot. This can depend on anatomical factors as well as how fast the horse's feet grow and your farrier's recommendations.

10. Do they really need shoes? Not generally. If you're riding on rocky terrain it's good protection for their hooves. Some horses' feet are more sensitive than others, and so whether or not they need shoes depends on the individual horse.

Now, all that being said... I STRONGLY recommend you find a decent trainer in your area and take some riding lessons before deciding to buy a horse. Like, at least 6 months of once a week lessons would be an ideal amount in my opinion. See if you can help around the barn with taking care of the horses and the facility. This gives you time to learn how to care for and handle horses from a professional, get questions answered you may not have even known existed, and plan whatever facilities you may (or may not) want at your house before taking the plunge. Then when it comes time to actually purchase a horse, you will have someone familiar with your needs and skills, and the connections to help you find a suitable mount! Also you will have a go-to person to ask for help with your horse when you have issues and questions, as well as other horsey friends for horse-related activities! I hope this was helpful to you!

You have gotten some great advice already. I would just add that horses aren’t cheap to feed and keep. So make sure that you have the available resources to take care of a horse before getting one. :)

You might also check into a care lease or partial care lease. Here some owners that have their horses boarded at barns will lease or partially lease their horse out for people to go and ride at their boarding facility. It would give you experience with horses and riding without a long term financial commitment.

This is all great stuff. The only thing I would add is that a horse is not something that should be bought and then dumped off once its old or say has gone lame. It pains me to hear people say they can't keep a horse(s) anymore cause they are pregnant or getting married... to me that's screwed up just because the horse is inconvenient at that time in your life. A horse should only be given up if you cannot care for it.. it's not a used toy. I believe its a stronger bond with a horse then a dog. Horses being animals of prey take an entire new way of gaining trust and bond and need much more time to do so. It does affect horses when they are switched to new hands sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Hi there! I have ridden and owned horses my entire life, my mom was a trainer and riding instructor, and I still train and teach lessons part time as well as ride competitively. Here are my answers to your questions, and then some advice I hope you take to heart at the end!

1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.)
Bare minimum is a halter a lead rope, a good stiff brush, hoof pick, and a basic first-aid kit. Beyond that it really depends on what you want to do with said horse. (More extensive grooming kit, saddle, bridle, pads, etc.) IMHO, if you are keeping your horse at your own house you really need a truck and trailer of your own in case of emergency as well.

2. How often should you ride your horse? Size of horse doesn't matter when deciding how much exercise it needs. For a horse to remain well behaved, riding several times a week is generally best, at least 3 times would be pretty good, though up to 6 times a week is fine for the horse. A lot of this does depend on the horse's temperament, training, and your riding goals.

3. What are good companion animals for horses? The best companion for a horse is another horse. Some horses do bond with goats or other animals but they are a herd animal that really prefers their own kind.'

4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed? Most commercial horse feeds are well-formulated for horses, some are specialized for older horses or horses in strenuous work. Most horses really don't need a grain/pelleted feed, but it adds a concentrated source of nutrients that can make up for what their hay or pasture is lacking.

5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those? Ideally a horse will eat MOSTLY good grass and good hay. It should make up the majority of their diet! Some horses (ponies and older horses especially) can be sensitive to fresh grass, but a good grass hay is the best feed you can provide your horse.

6. What's a good age for a beginner to get a horse? Age of horse or age of rider? The best age of horse is very subjective based on the horse. A 10-15+ year old horse that has been well trained is what I would recommend for a beginner rider. A horse is not like a puppy where the horse and rider can really grow and learn together, (green + green = black and blue is an old equestrian saying), it's more like a first car- you want your 16 year old to have something reliable but not too flashy or speedy! Save the sports car for when you're more experienced.

7. How often should you groom a horse? Grooming is good for the health of the horse's coat and skin, but also allows you to look over the horse for any wounds or irregularities, and gives you time to get to know each other. Horses can be groomed every day and must be groomed before you ride.

8. How often should you muck out the stall? If your horse is kept in a stall the stall needs to be cleaned every day. It keeps the task manageable and keeps the stall environment healthy.

9. How often should you change their shoes? Horses need hoof maintenance every 4-6 weeks if they're wearing shoes and 6-8 weeks if they are barefoot. This can depend on anatomical factors as well as how fast the horse's feet grow and your farrier's recommendations.

10. Do they really need shoes? Not generally. If you're riding on rocky terrain it's good protection for their hooves. Some horses' feet are more sensitive than others, and so whether or not they need shoes depends on the individual horse.

Now, all that being said... I STRONGLY recommend you find a decent trainer in your area and take some riding lessons before deciding to buy a horse. Like, at least 6 months of once a week lessons would be an ideal amount in my opinion. See if you can help around the barn with taking care of the horses and the facility. This gives you time to learn how to care for and handle horses from a professional, get questions answered you may not have even known existed, and plan whatever facilities you may (or may not) want at your house before taking the plunge. Then when it comes time to actually purchase a horse, you will have someone familiar with your needs and skills, and the connections to help you find a suitable mount! Also you will have a go-to person to ask for help with your horse when you have issues and questions, as well as other horsey friends for horse-related activities! I hope this was helpful to you!
Thanks for your help :D
Thankfully I do have some horse back riding experience (not counting trail rides :lol:) but I certainly can use some more. I'll defiantly try to spend more time with horses ASAP, regardless of when I get a horse.

I am going to chime in here and probably duplicate most of what is already said. I have had horses now more than fifty years.
Hi everyone. I've been wanting a horse since I was 4. I'm probably not going to be able to get one in the foreseeable future, but I want to be prepared for when I do.
1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.) Things like brushes and blankets alone have about 5 million variations of each, and I don't know what's necessary, and what's just nice to have.
Basic stuff... Light brush, stiff brush, medium brush, Rubber Curry, Steel Curry, Hair brush for manes, Hoof pick, and soft cloth. And a container to keep them in. As you go along you will find the best ones that suit your horse's coat and needs....
Other gear.... Leadrope, and halter.... And Belive it or not someone needs to teach you how and when you can tie your horse.... And why...
2. How often should you ride your horse? (I'm wanting a horse about the size of a quarter horse if that helps)
Ideally Every day... But every other day is fine with a nice long ride on the weekend. It really depends on the type of riding you want to do. I did various types of riding from trail to obsticles to arena work and jumping, And eventually Harness and Driving.
3. What are good companion animals for horses? I wanted to get a goat with a horse, but I want to make sure it's a good match first.
Goats are good but a whole other learning curve.... They get into EVERYTHING... I loved my goaties.
4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed?
Another question that should be answered by an experienced person in your region. I feed Hay Strictly. No Grain at all. Just good hay that smells good and is not moldy.... If the hay feels warm inside when you peel off a flake... Dont feed it.
5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those?
I feed Carrots as treats broken into about one or two inch chunks. Occasionally if I need to feed meds or vitimines I mix up a Bran Mash which is simply Bran and water till its like beach sand.... Then sprinkle on the what ever.... My girl loves it and mumbles the whole time she eats it.... And gets it all over her face.
6. What's a good horse age for a beginner to get a horse? I'm wanting a gelding that has experience being ridden, but is still young.
This is not necessarily a given.... It really depends. And for your first horse you should let your Trainer help you pick one out. She will rid it first to assess its qualities. Then allow you to ride it next. Often times the trainer will say no... be patient
7. How often should you groom a horse?
Before and AFTER you ride. Before to make sure there is no irritant on your horses skin to grind in under the saddle and bridle and girth.... After to dry the sweat marks and to remove the sweat from the hair and skin. I absolutely hate seeing dried sweat marks on a horse that is turned out.
8. How often should you muck out the stall?
Ideally Every day.... I never kept a horse in a stall only corral... My climate is pretty mild. But I know stalls take more work... Pee spots scooped separately and sprinkled with lime then topped with fresh bedding... Doing that will keep the stall fresh smelling for at least a month.
9. How often should you change their shoes?
Ideally The hoof grows enough in six weeks to need trimiming. If the shoe is good enough they can be reset. But most Farriers just put new shoes on. I prefer new.
my horse now has never been shod. Barefoot horses can go eight weeks between trims because they wear their hooves down. NOT All horses can go barefoot. it depends on your ground wether its rocky or not or very hard and abrasive. And if the horse has tough enough feet.
10. Do they really need shoes?
See above. If you are willing to invest in them they make boots for horses.... Good for more than a years worth of use.
11. What are some good beginners horse keeping books and/or websites?
I am not a trainer so wouldnt know... But I do know there are some excellent ones out there.
12. What's the best bedding for a horse?
Depends on whats available. I love Rice hulls They stay dry and fluffy even if your horse tends to want to play in his water.... LOL. But they are not available everywhere. Some use Pine shavings which can be delivered in bulk.... Some use Straw which I have never seen or used here... DO NOT USE Cedar .....
13. Is it cheaper to board your horse or to keep it at your home (if your able)?
HOme is cheaper... monitarily. But boarding will allow you to ask more experienced people a question now and then. Plus give you access to Farrier and Vet and that keeps costs down because they will be coming out for many horses so the ranch call will fee may be waived.
Thank you all for your help! :D

I may have more questions later. If anyone else has questions feel free to post them here!

Good luck... Educate yourself.... Take Lessons... learn on an experienced lesson horse with an experienced Trainer.

My advice to just about anyone who wants to get into horses is Lease a horse first for the first year .... You get the experience on a gentle horse While splitting the cost of board and care with its owner. As you get experience you will see what kind of horse that will fit your needs. Because Everyone out grows their first horse.

This is my Last horse.... Rocking Jolly Kateen

AndPut-itThere.jpg

Pix was when she was about seven or eight. She is now 25 and has a home with me the rest of her days.
deb

You shouldn't get an animal you can't guarantee to care for its whole life.

Sooo . . . Sunny would be better off dead rather than living with me? That's the alternative; she was somewhat overweight and persistently lame when the people that owned her decided to stop hemorrhaging money and shut down their business. Lame horses are basically unsellable; she was headed for a charity auction if I hadn't taken her. Even in the name of charity, how many people are going to spend money for an obviously lame horse? It's pretty much a given that she'd have taken a long, horrible, one-way trip to a Mexican slaughterhouse if I hadn't taken her. And I have to admit, during the months immediately following my decision, watching her limping across the pasture, I wondered if she wouldn't have been better off dead rather than living in pain. But gradually, the extra weight came off, and her metabolism stabilized; the morning I saw her come tearing across the pasture, bucking and striking out playfully is something I will treasure until the day that I die. That isn't the end of the story, of course; while she spends most of her time usefully sound, her stupidly small feet and thin soles mean she sometimes gets sore again, sometimes for weeks at a time. But since horses live in the moment, I think that, by and large, she is content with her life.

And I guess I shouldn't have stepped forward when Betsy the mini-mule's owner decided she was too much trouble and was giving her away? At 9, she had a reputation for being difficult if not impossible to deal with, an absolute and total BRAT. Betsy hadn't been here for two weeks before I figured out that, rather than being stubborn and defiant, she was simply ignorant and fearful. I don't know how many of the far more experienced horse people around here would have had the patience and perspective to hear what the animal was trying to say, rather than fight with her and try to dominate her. She's been with me for 10 years now, and while we have our moments, nobody who sees us together can miss the bond we have. She's 19 now, and I'm looking hard at 60. Mules are often surprisingly long-lived; she could last another 20 years - how likely is it that an 80 year old woman will still be able to trim her feet? And though it would break my heart to load her onto someone else's trailer and walk away, the idea of having her killed simply because I could no longer afford to feed her is unbearable.

I can't be sure that I will draw my next breath. I live in a community with one of the worst traffic accident rates in the state, and daily drive on a road that has some of the worst traffic in town. It's an act of faith to get behind the wheel and assume that I will get where I was intending to go; people around here don't on a daily basis. Even if I didn't get killed, I could be put in a position where I couldn't care for myself, let alone my animals, for a long time (or even forever). Should I not have any animals, simply because life can happen?:idunno

Thanks for your help :D
Thankfully I do have some horse back riding experience (not counting trail rides :lol:) but I certainly can use some more. I'll defiantly try to spend more time with horses ASAP, regardless of when I get a horse.

The other thing to keep in mind is financial commitment. Think of your horse ownership experience like owning a gas guzzling truck. They eat lots and lots of green.

Regular farrier visits = regular farrier bills, and those are mandatory for the continued good health and soundness of your four legged friend. Find out what it costs in your area for a foot trim (if you can get away without doing shoes) and what it costs for shoes just in the front, find out what they charge when the shoes are new vs. a re-shoe, what you're in for if you've got all 4 feet with shoes on -- this amounts to real money. They need what they need …

Then … finding a good farrier who is in the area regularly - find out- will they be willing to drive to your house to shoe just one horse? Or will they do it once and then not take your calls … because remember- driving a truck with all that heavy stuff is expensive!

Find out: What hay suppliers are available in your area. How long have they been there- are they there year round with hay suitable for your horse, or do you need to buy in quantity to last the year? Ask yourself: What kind of facility do I have to STORE hay. If you can get a LOT of a great grass hay from the same cutting and you can store that hay and keep it dry, you'll have many fewer variables with the digestive health of your horse, because you'll have a quality product on hand. At various times of the year depending on where you live, this is NOT a given.

Remember... The most expensive food you can buy isn't Purina or any of the myriad of bagged feeds - it isn't Eastern Orchard grass or leafy alfalfa or timothy hay.

The most expensive food you can buy is the low quality hay that will almost certainly lead to a vet bill . The SECOND most expensive food you can buy? Food they refuse to eat. Usually I say it's the food they won't eat that is most expensive, but with horses, the consequences of poor quality food are amplified.

Also .. don't overlook the cost of bedding. Much will depend on your local climate, but if you'll have your horse in a stall for any part of the year … you'll be paying for bedding... and then carting it out soaked in urine. =)

None of this is intended in a negative manner. I love horses and spent much of my life with them. I just want to bring up costs it's easy to gloss over - especially when you think to yourself: Well, I won't have to pay board. He'll be at my house. Board usually covers things like food, bedding, and someone to clean the stall once a day- not always in every situation, but it's easy to dismiss that and say to yourself … how much can it really cost to keep a horse, they're making a killing charging "that" for board- when in a lot of cases (by the time you include the time involved with obtaining and distributing feed/bedding/disposing of waste) - no … they're not.

Just do a very, very honest assessment of the financial commitment.
The above post gave great advice too!
Good luck!

It pains me to hear people say they can't keep a horse(s) anymore cause they are pregnant or getting married... to me that's screwed up just because the horse is inconvenient at that time in your life. A horse should only be given up if you cannot care for it.. it's not a used toy.

I agree that it is sad when this is the choice that has to be made, but it's not about convenience. It's about $$$$$$ (which horses take a lot of) and time (which they also take a lot of). I have seen this many times from the other end - the board gets paid every month, the horse gets its feet done, etc, when other horses in the barn get done, but the owner simply hasn't the time to come see it. The horse may be perfectly happy being pastured with his buds, but he isn't being used, his skills are getting rusty, he's getting fat and lazy, and at some point, the owner says, "y'know, I like Ol' Blue, but I'm spending over $6000/year* on something I only see every once in a while. I'm already run off my feet; I'm tired of feeling guilty over this huge drain in my pocket that I get basically nothing from." Should a person only buy a horse when they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be able to keep it for 30+ years? That's a heckuva lotta commitment; most marriages don't last that long.:confused:

*This is very, very basic board, pasture trim (no shoes), and shots in my area. It can certainly go a lot higher.

Back
Top Bottom