Questions about owning horses

This is all great stuff. The only thing I would add is that a horse is not something that should be bought and then dumped off once its old or say has gone lame. It pains me to hear people say they can't keep a horse(s) anymore cause they are pregnant or getting married... to me that's screwed up just because the horse is inconvenient at that time in your life. A horse should only be given up if you cannot care for it.. it's not a used toy. I believe its a stronger bond with a horse then a dog. Horses being animals of prey take an entire new way of gaining trust and bond and need much more time to do so. It does affect horses when they are switched to new hands sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse.

Oh, and hmmm. My opinion. Best companion for a horse is... another horse! Or two.... And did anyone mention, don't ride alone? Groups of three are best. That way if one gets thrown, one person can stay with the injured person while the third rides for help. A good idea even in these days of cell phones. Finally, again, just my opinion ... but there is no better place for riding than NW New Mexico. Lol! Ah, the memories! :clap

Hey there! I'll try to answer most of your questions!:)

1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.)
You'll need a few good brushes, curry comb, hard brush, dandy brush and a brush for mane and tail, would all be great for basic grooming! You also will NEED a hoof pick, to pick out your horse's hooves before and after riding.
You will NEED a good halter and lead rope!!
The other kind of tack you will need depends...do you ride English or western?
For western riding you will need: Obviously, a western saddle, western saddle pad/blanket, a good cinch, (NOT A GURTH.) You will also need, a bridle, a bit, (snaffle bits are the most common bit used, and best for riding in, Imo.) Or if you decide to go bitless, you can get a bitless bridle or a hackamore. A breast collar is good to have also. I keeps the saddle from sliding back if you're going up hills etc. Some people don't use them but I usually do almost every time I ride. I feel like it keeps the saddle more secure..
If you're doing English, you will need: an english saddle, an english saddle pad, a gurth (NOT A CINCH), a martingale, which is optional.
You'll also need an english bridle, whether you use a bit or get a bitless bridle is up to you.

2. How often should you ride your horse?
How often could you ride? The more riding the better for you and your horse. 5 times a week is good in my opinion, but everyday is even better! To exercise your horse, you don't have to just ride...lunging up hills and over small jumps etc is all good for your horse to get exercise, build muscle, and is also good for training etc.:)

3. What are good companion animals for horses?
Another horse would be best.. Some horses get along well with a goat or a cow but other horses are can be very cowy and aggressive towards them.
A miniature horse or small pony usually works well also.

4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed?
Not really sure. My horses don't need horse feed very often, they stay stout on hay and grass. Sorry about that...:(

5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those?
Actually, horses mainly do just eat grass and hay.. Most people out here in Oklahoma have large pasture fields and don't need to give anything else besides hay in the winter and sometimes pellets..

6. What's a good horse age for a beginner to get a horse?
That depends on the horse's training and temperament... Usually older horses give lessons to young kids and inexperienced riders and have a nice calm personality... 7 to 18 would probably be ideal....but I have a 2-3 year old, 12 and a half hand pony, that is the best kid/beginner horse ever! 3 year old kids can ride her alone without help and she's amazing with them and has such a calm personality! Then I've had older horses that are full of sass and like to buck, play, etc...So it basically all depends on the horse. I wouldn't pass up a good horse just because it's young..

7. How often should you groom a horse?
Everyday or every other day is good, but you NEED to groom your horse always before and after you ride.

8. How often should you muck out the stall?
It should be cleaned ever day if your horse is kept in it a lot.

9. How often should you change their shoes?
4-6 weeks.

10. Do they really need shoes?
No, most horses don't need shoes, but some horses do have sensitize feet that crack without them... All of my horses do just fine barefoot.

11. What are some good beginners horse keeping books and/or websites?
You can find a lot of good horse books at the library. They should have everything from basic horse grooming and care to more advanced riding and training info.

12. What's the best bedding for a horse?
Straw works really well!

13. Is it cheaper to board your horse or to keep it at your home (if your able)?
Keeping a horse on your own land would be a lot cheaper I believe, especially if you have a good grazing pasture.

Last edited:
I want to clarify one thing. Even if your horse doesn't wear shoes he still needs his feet done every four to six weeks. Also he may need to be 2wormed regularly and see the vet a couple of times a year for vaccinations. In some places the horse vet comes to you. In other places you trailer to the horse vet.

One correction. A martingale is not the same as a breast collar it is c generally intended one way or another to keep the horse's head under control in conjunction with the reins, bridle and/or bit.

There's a world of information and equipment for horses. What they always say is that the way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large one.

And if you .only plan to have one horse i recommend boarding. Your horse has company and other people will also be looking out for health issues and injuries. If he needs special supplements and such, someone else can fill in.

I am going to chime in here and probably duplicate most of what is already said. I have had horses now more than fifty years.
Hi everyone. I've been wanting a horse since I was 4. I'm probably not going to be able to get one in the foreseeable future, but I want to be prepared for when I do.
1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.) Things like brushes and blankets alone have about 5 million variations of each, and I don't know what's necessary, and what's just nice to have.
Basic stuff... Light brush, stiff brush, medium brush, Rubber Curry, Steel Curry, Hair brush for manes, Hoof pick, and soft cloth. And a container to keep them in. As you go along you will find the best ones that suit your horse's coat and needs....
Other gear.... Leadrope, and halter.... And Belive it or not someone needs to teach you how and when you can tie your horse.... And why...
2. How often should you ride your horse? (I'm wanting a horse about the size of a quarter horse if that helps)
Ideally Every day... But every other day is fine with a nice long ride on the weekend. It really depends on the type of riding you want to do. I did various types of riding from trail to obsticles to arena work and jumping, And eventually Harness and Driving.
3. What are good companion animals for horses? I wanted to get a goat with a horse, but I want to make sure it's a good match first.
Goats are good but a whole other learning curve.... They get into EVERYTHING... I loved my goaties.
4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed?
Another question that should be answered by an experienced person in your region. I feed Hay Strictly. No Grain at all. Just good hay that smells good and is not moldy.... If the hay feels warm inside when you peel off a flake... Dont feed it.
5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those?
I feed Carrots as treats broken into about one or two inch chunks. Occasionally if I need to feed meds or vitimines I mix up a Bran Mash which is simply Bran and water till its like beach sand.... Then sprinkle on the what ever.... My girl loves it and mumbles the whole time she eats it.... And gets it all over her face.
6. What's a good horse age for a beginner to get a horse? I'm wanting a gelding that has experience being ridden, but is still young.
This is not necessarily a given.... It really depends. And for your first horse you should let your Trainer help you pick one out. She will rid it first to assess its qualities. Then allow you to ride it next. Often times the trainer will say no... be patient
7. How often should you groom a horse?
Before and AFTER you ride. Before to make sure there is no irritant on your horses skin to grind in under the saddle and bridle and girth.... After to dry the sweat marks and to remove the sweat from the hair and skin. I absolutely hate seeing dried sweat marks on a horse that is turned out.
8. How often should you muck out the stall?
Ideally Every day.... I never kept a horse in a stall only corral... My climate is pretty mild. But I know stalls take more work... Pee spots scooped separately and sprinkled with lime then topped with fresh bedding... Doing that will keep the stall fresh smelling for at least a month.
9. How often should you change their shoes?
Ideally The hoof grows enough in six weeks to need trimiming. If the shoe is good enough they can be reset. But most Farriers just put new shoes on. I prefer new.
my horse now has never been shod. Barefoot horses can go eight weeks between trims because they wear their hooves down. NOT All horses can go barefoot. it depends on your ground wether its rocky or not or very hard and abrasive. And if the horse has tough enough feet.
10. Do they really need shoes?
See above. If you are willing to invest in them they make boots for horses.... Good for more than a years worth of use.
11. What are some good beginners horse keeping books and/or websites?
I am not a trainer so wouldnt know... But I do know there are some excellent ones out there.
12. What's the best bedding for a horse?
Depends on whats available. I love Rice hulls They stay dry and fluffy even if your horse tends to want to play in his water.... LOL. But they are not available everywhere. Some use Pine shavings which can be delivered in bulk.... Some use Straw which I have never seen or used here... DO NOT USE Cedar .....
13. Is it cheaper to board your horse or to keep it at your home (if your able)?
HOme is cheaper... monitarily. But boarding will allow you to ask more experienced people a question now and then. Plus give you access to Farrier and Vet and that keeps costs down because they will be coming out for many horses so the ranch call will fee may be waived.
Thank you all for your help! :D

I may have more questions later. If anyone else has questions feel free to post them here!

Good luck... Educate yourself.... Take Lessons... learn on an experienced lesson horse with an experienced Trainer.

My advice to just about anyone who wants to get into horses is Lease a horse first for the first year .... You get the experience on a gentle horse While splitting the cost of board and care with its owner. As you get experience you will see what kind of horse that will fit your needs. Because Everyone out grows their first horse.

This is my Last horse.... Rocking Jolly Kateen

AndPut-itThere.jpg

Pix was when she was about seven or eight. She is now 25 and has a home with me the rest of her days.
deb

With regard to books.... My training began in 1967. Before Computers and Cell phones. My first mentor was taught by her Canadian Mountie Grandfather. We Rode western and posted the trot. We got a smack on the behind if our position wasn't right in the saddle. But she was good natured and teased and taught us the right way to be Safe with horses and how to care for them. Even how to give a shot and Treat a wound. She once had me hold the halter of a mare that had sliced her chest open. We took her into the tack room and I kept her still while Helen sewed the mares chest closed.
No infection No scar on that mare either... Good stitches healthy horse and good after care.... Helen had had horse stable all over the world even in Africa where she rode with a six gun on her hip.

But I started digging when I wanted to expand my education on riding. I wanted to learn to jump but was intrigued by something called Dressage. So most of my reading was Colonel Alois Podhajsky, "The Complete Training of horse and Rider"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Podhajsky
He ran the Vienna Riding school for many years after winning the Gold medal at the olympics in 1930's.
I read Charles De kumfy s book "Creative horsemanship" Which followed most of the traditional Dressage taught by Colonel Podhajsky....

But The Best illustrated and informative book for the basics of Dressage was A book Called "Carriage Driving A Logical Approach through Dressage Training" By Heidke Bean, and Sarah Blanchard. I saw first hand illustrations in pictures and good drawings what Engagement really was and How to develope strenght in the horse to achieve Good Engagement
https://www.amazon.com/dp/162045727X/?tag=backy-20

deb

One correction. A martingale is not the same as a breast collar it is c generally intended one way or another to keep the horse's head under control in conjunction with the reins, bridle and/or bit.
That's actually correct. Sorry about that.... I'm too familiar with all the English tack yet, cause I mainly ride western... I'll take that out of my post, just so no one gets the wrong info...
Even if your horse doesn't wear shoes he still needs his feet done every four to six weeks
Yes!! That's definitely TRUE! Most horses need their hooves done by a farrier every 4-6 weeks.. Some of my horses, my farrier does 8 weeks for just because their hooves don't grow as long....

Tack is a very interesting discussion.
Bits:
And can get very heated on occasion. You buy what your horse needs and what you need. And can Vary on what you do... I rode many miles With a Bareback pad and a bridle with a mechanical Hackamore.

I had one horse that needed a Pelham bit.... A bit that took two sets of reins. one for general contact considered a snaffle and one with leverage for when she bolted.

My mare now has a very low pallet and a mouth like butter. So I use a mullen mouth snaffle Which is a Curved solid bar which gently rests in the mouth over the tongue. For riding I am back to a Pelham. But for her there is no curb chain I made her a leather curb strap... No more opening her mouth and shaking her head.

But and this is a big one. The bit is only as good as the hands and legs that use it. Yep I said legs. I have seen Charros ride with a Gawd aweful looking spade bit... That bit is for a well educated horse and rider.... Soft mouth soft hands.... Good seat and legs for the rider.

I was taught if you have a bit problem switch to a milder bit.

Saddles:

Another list of possibilities
Western
English

Ah but what type?
Western
  • Pleasure
  • Trail
  • Barrel
  • roping
  • Tree less
English
  • Jumping
  • All purpose
  • Trail
  • Dressage
  • Treeless
Other Gear
Each type of riding has its own extras... both english and western.
  • Breast collar
  • Standing Martingale
  • Running Martingale
  • German martingale
  • Breeching
  • Check rein
Then there are those things that are used only for Training purposes
  • Draw reins
  • side reins
  • Long lines
  • Lunge lines
  • Lunge whip
I Wont go into harness But many of the items above are parts of harness as well.

There are whole books on Tack and information on how why to use them and when they were developed.

deb

It pains me to hear people say they can't keep a horse(s) anymore cause they are pregnant or getting married... to me that's screwed up just because the horse is inconvenient at that time in your life. A horse should only be given up if you cannot care for it.. it's not a used toy.

I agree that it is sad when this is the choice that has to be made, but it's not about convenience. It's about $$$$$$ (which horses take a lot of) and time (which they also take a lot of). I have seen this many times from the other end - the board gets paid every month, the horse gets its feet done, etc, when other horses in the barn get done, but the owner simply hasn't the time to come see it. The horse may be perfectly happy being pastured with his buds, but he isn't being used, his skills are getting rusty, he's getting fat and lazy, and at some point, the owner says, "y'know, I like Ol' Blue, but I'm spending over $6000/year* on something I only see every once in a while. I'm already run off my feet; I'm tired of feeling guilty over this huge drain in my pocket that I get basically nothing from." Should a person only buy a horse when they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be able to keep it for 30+ years? That's a heckuva lotta commitment; most marriages don't last that long.:confused:

*This is very, very basic board, pasture trim (no shoes), and shots in my area. It can certainly go a lot higher.

Back
Top Bottom