Questions about owning horses

I agree that it is sad when this is the choice that has to be made, but it's not about convenience. It's about $$$$$$ (which horses take a lot of) and time (which they also take a lot of). I have seen this many times from the other end - the board gets paid every month, the horse gets its feet done, etc, when other horses in the barn get done, but the owner simply hasn't the time to come see it. The horse may be perfectly happy being pastured with his buds, but he isn't being used, his skills are getting rusty, he's getting fat and lazy, and at some point, the owner says, "y'know, I like Ol' Blue, but I'm spending over $6000/year* on something I only see every once in a while. I'm already run off my feet; I'm tired of feeling guilty over this huge drain in my pocket that I get basically nothing from." Should a person only buy a horse when they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will be able to keep it for 30+ years? That's a heckuva lotta commitment; most marriages don't last that long.:confused:

*This is very, very basic board, pasture trim (no shoes), and shots in my area. It can certainly go a lot higher.

Agreed. One must also assess their long term financial goals - including retirement, regardless of age -- $6000 a year around here wouldn't get you much- that's maybe a field - no riding facility, no stall, maybe a run-in shelter - and (here) your farrier, vet, and anything beyond the space in the pasture (hay, grain) would be on you to buy.

$6,000 going out the door is a big deal when looking at the big picture and how horse ownership fits into it. The other consideration is if a person has to relocate- they might have been able to afford a property suitable for a horse in city A … but move to city B and it might be a WHOLE other ballgame.

There are lots of ways to be around horses and ride without buying - I think many leases and half-leases are born out of these kinds of circumstances. Kid graduates and leaves for college but can't take the horse with them but doesn't want to sell … Owner gets married then starts a family … someone gets injured - a parent loses a job and can't afford to keep the kid's horse … someone gets a new job that involves travel - the list goes on and on and on. Life happens.

Change is hard for everyone, but the well-being of those who have no say in the change cannot be overstated. The important thing is the horse gets looked after and loved.

Hi everyone. I've been wanting a horse since I was 4. I'm probably not going to be able to get one in the foreseeable future, but I want to be prepared for when I do.

I am not going to answer these in the order you asked but rather in order of importance, and i may answer some you didn't answer and I may not answer all of them tonight bc it's late and my fingers will start to fall off ;)

The first thing you need is riding lessons. You will learn SO MUCH from a good riding instructor including most of what you are asking here. You will learn why you always need to wear JEANS and BOOTS and a long-sleeved shirt when you ride. These things are for safety. You will learn HOW to ride so you don't hurt your horse's mouth, neck, back or sides. You will learn to communicate FAIRLY with the animal and what it can and can't do. You'll learn how, why, when and how often to groom and which tools to use. Like why you don't use a shedding comb on the mane and tail. And why you use a soft brush on the face and legs.

You will learn why, when and where a horse needs shoes. Try this. Take off your shoes and socks. Then pick up your little brother or any other ten year old, piggy-back style. Run across a gravel driveway. Think shoes are a good idea? Lol, yoir horse thinks so, too. Every 8 weeks or so, he needs a new set. Depending where you live, this will cost about $60 to $75. In between, also on an 8 week schedule, you need to worm your horse and probably give him shots. That costs, too.

He'll nedd a fly mask and a saddle blanket and saddle if you plan to ride. Headstall (bridle), reins, allow you to control the horse while riding. You also need a halter and lead rope for when not riding. That's about the minimum. Truck and trailer for hauling to the vet, horse shows or places you want to ride. Saddlebags or backpack, fanny pack for canteen and snacks. Word to the wise: do NOT take soda on a trail ride, dig it out of your fanny pack hot, and open it on the back of horse! Mine thought it was a snake! Made good entertainment for trail riding companions.

One other thing for now: either you or the horse must have skills and experience or someone will get hurt. If you are just starting out, I recommend a good useful horse no younger than 10. -12 years old that has been ridden extensively and is unflappable to learn on. A 2 or 3 year old spooky green horse can kill you. I'll come back to this tomorrow, but the bottom line is, you don't meed "stuff" right now nearly as much as you need knowledge. Find a friend with horses, an older friend, and hang out with them. Offer to clean stalls in exchange for riding lessons. You'll get all your queations answered and you'll be riding, too - and safely!
Ps - my opinion, get your horse a cat. Goats are more trouble than they're worth. They'll eat the paint off your car!
Ride your horse whenever the sun shines or the moon glows. Ride mornings, evenings, afternoons, weekends. Ride when you can and you can't, when you should and you shouldn't. Ride in sunshine and in rain. But not in lightning! Ride happy, sad, blue, glad, even ride mad if you must but don't take it out on your horse. Care for him, love him, talk to him, listen to him, respect him. Share in his stength but never abuse it. He is a gift from God. Groom him good before and after every ride. Cool him down after riding. Never put a horse away wet and don't let him drink cold water when he's hot. Muck out his stall daily, keep his feet clean and dry. You need a good book on horses. Good luck.

1. What are the necessary items needed for owning a horse? (Tack, grooming, etc.) Things like brushes and blankets alone have about 5 million variations of each, and I don't know what's necessary, and what's just nice to have.
2. How often should you ride your horse? (I'm wanting a horse about the size of a quarter horse if that helps)
3. What are good companion animals for horses? I wanted to get a goat with a horse, but I want to make sure it's a good match first.
4. What ingredients should I look for and avoid in a horse feed?
5. I'm sure horses can't only eat hay and graze, but how much of their diet can just be those?
6. What's a good horse age for a beginner to get a horse? I'm wanting a gelding that has experience being ridden, but is still young.
7. How often should you groom a horse?
8. How often should you muck out the stall?
9. How often should you change their shoes?
10. Do they really need shoes?

Thank you all for your help! :D

I may have more questions later. If anyone else has questions feel free to post them here!

I've never personally owned any horses, though I do love them. I don't plan on getting any, but I enjoy learning about them, and so I'll recommend you this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwdVL0L9ljq3McWMXWrUVdg

This is the sort of person you'll either love or hate. He's a bit crude at times, but he gives some great advice and tips, and he does really know what he's talking about when it comes to horses. I especially enjoy the videos of his where he reviews other horse videos and discusses the behaviors he sees in the video, what the person did wrong to cause the behavior, etc. Very educational and worth your time :thumbsup

I'll caution you, horses are extremely........................addictive!! LOL!

If you can find a USPC (Pony Club) book, I would buy it! It's a wonderful book and even though I've owned horses my entire life, sometimes I still go back and reference it! There are several levels and if you can just find the beginner one, you'll be set.

I will also second (or third) getting hands on experience with horses. That is a perfect way to gain knowledge! Good luck!

Oh, and hmmm. My opinion. Best companion for a horse is... another horse! Or two.... And did anyone mention, don't ride alone? Groups of three are best. That way if one gets thrown, one person can stay with the injured person while the third rides for help. A good idea even in these days of cell phones. Finally, again, just my opinion ... but there is no better place for riding than NW New Mexico. Lol! Ah, the memories! :clap

I want to clarify one thing. Even if your horse doesn't wear shoes he still needs his feet done every four to six weeks. Also he may need to be 2wormed regularly and see the vet a couple of times a year for vaccinations. In some places the horse vet comes to you. In other places you trailer to the horse vet.

One correction. A martingale is not the same as a breast collar it is c generally intended one way or another to keep the horse's head under control in conjunction with the reins, bridle and/or bit.

There's a world of information and equipment for horses. What they always say is that the way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large one.

And if you .only plan to have one horse i recommend boarding. Your horse has company and other people will also be looking out for health issues and injuries. If he needs special supplements and such, someone else can fill in.

This is my Last horse.... Rocking Jolly Kateen

andput-itthere-jpg.1750070
Wowwww! She's sooo beautiful!!:love:eek:

Tack is a very interesting discussion.
Bits:
And can get very heated on occasion. You buy what your horse needs and what you need. And can Vary on what you do... I rode many miles With a Bareback pad and a bridle with a mechanical Hackamore.

I had one horse that needed a Pelham bit.... A bit that took two sets of reins. one for general contact considered a snaffle and one with leverage for when she bolted.

My mare now has a very low pallet and a mouth like butter. So I use a mullen mouth snaffle Which is a Curved solid bar which gently rests in the mouth over the tongue. For riding I am back to a Pelham. But for her there is no curb chain I made her a leather curb strap... No more opening her mouth and shaking her head.

But and this is a big one. The bit is only as good as the hands and legs that use it. Yep I said legs. I have seen Charros ride with a Gawd aweful looking spade bit... That bit is for a well educated horse and rider.... Soft mouth soft hands.... Good seat and legs for the rider.

I was taught if you have a bit problem switch to a milder bit.

Saddles:

Another list of possibilities
Western
English

Ah but what type?
Western
  • Pleasure
  • Trail
  • Barrel
  • roping
  • Tree less
English
  • Jumping
  • All purpose
  • Trail
  • Dressage
  • Treeless
Other Gear
Each type of riding has its own extras... both english and western.
  • Breast collar
  • Standing Martingale
  • Running Martingale
  • German martingale
  • Breeching
  • Check rein
Then there are those things that are used only for Training purposes
  • Draw reins
  • side reins
  • Long lines
  • Lunge lines
  • Lunge whip
I Wont go into harness But many of the items above are parts of harness as well.

There are whole books on Tack and information on how why to use them and when they were developed.

deb

I do certainly understand that in financial care that they need to be taken care of and that being rid of them is responsible. But getting an animal that you will be too busy to take care of is not okay. Simply don't get the animal. If you want to be a mother and you know that will take up all your time, don't get a horse two years before getting married only to sell it. It's not right to abandon animals like that because they don't understand.

Wanting to have kids at some point can't be the determining factor. That would mean that what, 80% or more of women (the latest statistic I could find is by age 40, only 17% of women haven't had children in the US) shouldn't consider having a horse because they want kids at some point??? Knowing one day you want to get married and have kids is pretty common, as is knowing once you have a child, especially in the early years it WILL take up all of your time. I see your point if you're actively trying to start a family, with reasonable certainty 10-15 months later you'll have a baby to care for.

I do think people need to be honest with themselves about the financial and time requirements of owning a horse. That includes how long it takes to drive (and what kind of a drive- heavy traffic or just miles of empty roads) to the barn - what's the availability of the arena when you intend to be there? Is there anywhere else to ride (trails etc) if the arena isn't open or is jam packed with kids taking lessons... How many evenings are you going to go from work to the barn, getting home just in time to eat something and go to bed? Or, get up extra early to go to the barn … What does your horse do when you're not there? Stuck in a stall? Gets turned out?

It's got weird parallels to a gym membership, though of course the gym doesn't really care if you get there every day.

None of this should be entered into lightly. Having an exit plan is just as important as budgeting time and money - because hanging onto a horse you can't afford or don't have time for IS where the abandonment and neglect begins. Unplanned pregnancies happen- single or married, and the list goes on and on. Nobody wants to have an exit plan, but failing to plan is planning to fail, and it is the horse who suffers in the meantime.

Use the mildest bit possible and train your hands to be still.

Sorry, you'll have to expand my answer above, it's embedded in your questions. Those are good questions by the way. Wish I had you as a student.....20 years ago!

Back
Top Bottom