Questions about PDZ Stall Refresher

First add a bit of pdz to the shavings.
Then daily stir the shavings so it stays dry. If ventilation in the coop is sufficient the coop will not smell. Dry poop will not smell. If they are pooping in the same pile nightly, it usually does not ever dry out and will smell like ammonia.

I use a poo board with a sand pdz mixture and shavings on the floor. Only takes a few minutes daily to scoop, feed and water. I do a total clean out 1-2 yearly.
No smell.

Edit. Additional ventilation is a must down south. I'm in eastern NC. We need to give them all the air flow we can. Heat stress is hard on birds. On hot nights they hardly get a cool off tme.

Last edited:
I am spreading it in currently. I am asking if I should completely remove the shavings and going 100% PDZ flooring
Until it got way too expensive in my area, the only thing I had on the bottom of my coop was PDZ. No flies, No odors although I do pick out poop daily. I highly suggest the granular PDZ, not the powder. Now, I only put some on top of the sand that I use in coop and run. So for on top of shavings, sure, why not but on the floor also a good idea I think.

Oh boy....
Based on this picture you are going to have a serious heat issue come next month.
Post in thread 'How often to offer grit to 8 week hens?' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...fer-grit-to-8-week-hens.1576985/post-26790874

I'd cut that whole wall out/off if I were you.
The wall with the little hole/door to the run.

Open up the little coop area.
I read not to add ventilation at roost level, is that accurate? I could cut the top 1/3 of that wall to open it up if I need to avoid roost level ventilation (for drafts)

I read not to add ventilation at roost level, is that accurate? I could cut the top 1/3 of that wall to open it up if I need to avoid roost level ventilation (for drafts)
Your run looks predator proof and if it is I'd remove that whole wall.
I'd not worry about drafts if I were you. That doesn't really affect us down here in the south were it never gets too cold to have to worry about cold air blowing on them.

I'd remove the whole wall then put a 2x4 roost bar right across here where the red line is.
Screenshot_20230507-203356.png

So i am currently trying 100% pdz as “bedding” and it is extremely dusty. I personally do not like it. I have an exhaust fan in my coop and it is covered in dust. I wouldnt imagine its very good for the chickens. I am changing out the pdz to shaving ls until i find a better method.

Low to no odor, requires poop to dry out fast, it's why people use materials to wick the moisture from the poop quickly.

I wouldn't recommend using only pdz, it's not absorbent and is used only as a deodorizer, also it's very dusty. In which can affect your respiratory and your chickens.

But if you think it will work for you, I suppose you can try it to know it for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom