Suggestions for litter/bedding/floor

MargoStewart

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
My girls (and at least one boy who will be finding a new home) have been in the coop for a few weeks now. I used the leftover bag of shavings from the brooder but am looking for something different when I change it.

We have two heights of roosts and right now, all six of them roost together on the highest (shortest) roost. I’ve seen dropping boards discuses but because this is A frame, I feel like that will take up quite a bit of room. I’m thinking maybe construction sand with stall refresh in the hen house is what I’ll do but I have had trouble finding anyone else who uses sand on the entire floor. Is that a thing?

The outdoor space was grass but is now just dirt because they’ve eaten everything and then we got a ton of rain. (I’m in Oklahoma). I’m thinking of doing the deep litter route outside in the run area.

Are these good options? Would you do something different? I’d love any idea from those of you who have been doing this for awhile!

Attachments

• 04481522-CE25-459C-8558-118D5CFC5D60.jpeg
    04481522-CE25-459C-8558-118D5CFC5D60.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 856AF329-4803-494E-88AB-BDB8B1CBD9EA.jpeg
    856AF329-4803-494E-88AB-BDB8B1CBD9EA.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 11
You really don't have space to do poop boards so scrap that. Is it possible to put both roosts at same height so the birds spread out a bit more? Yes folks do use sand as a substrate in coops, though I have no experience with it.

Deep litter may help with your mud issue but it looks like a fairly small set up overall (do you know what the run sq footage is?) so it might not be as effective as you'd like, as volume of litter to poop does play a role in using deep litter. Might need to be doing more frequent cleanouts or replacement of materials in the run to be effective.

I’m thinking maybe construction sand with stall refresh in the hen house is what I’ll do but I have had trouble finding anyone else who uses sand on the entire floor. Is that a thing?
Some do, you could use straight PDZ instead of messing with sand, but it needs to be scooped daily. Can you easily reach all areas of the coop floor?

I’m thinking of doing the deep litter route outside in the run area.
Just coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer will help break down the poops.

it looks like a fairly small set up overall
Ditto Dat.
It looks small for 6 full size birds, Aframes are usually tight spaces.
Knowing dimensions might help here.
Tho Aframes are also notoriously hard to ventilate, I hope it's in all day shade.
The metal siding may create an oven like atmosphere.

I’m in Oklahoma
Welcome to BYC! @MargoStewart
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor...thanks for adding that.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1685191373249.png

Attachments

• 1685191357556.png
    1685191357556.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 8
I agree with deep litter method. I'm giving shredded hemp a go. Supposed to be more absorbent than any of the wood chips or shavings. Haven't compared cost. I'm using it in my brooder and so far so good. No smell at all.

Back
Top Bottom