Questions about pullorum certificate....

Just like others have said, it varies state by state. There are a lot of things the federal government cannot regulate internal to a state, the individual state sets those requirements. Many years ago, Pullorum was pretty common so the federal government set up a program where they would help the states with some costs if the individual states would set up their own program. That was the start of the National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP). That program has been so successful Pullorum is pretty rare these days. When NPIP started it was so prevalent it was threatening the commercial poultry business. I know some people don’t want to hear this, but it is a government program that worked.

Each state does its own thing. To qualify for government money, they have to have a bare minimum. I’m not sure what that bare minimum is currently, Pullorum certainly. Some states add other things, some don’t. The internal workings on how they set it up varies state by state. Here in Arkansas they offer classes where you can become a certified Arkansas NPIP inspector and test your own birds or others. The last I heard the flock had to be tested every three months and any new birds had to come from an NPIP certified flock. Other states will do it differently.

If you are going to be shipping eggs or birds out of state, the state’s laws you are shipping to are the ones that apply, not the state you are living in. Some are more restrictive than others. One major hatchery did not ship to Virginia because Virginia required a certain test and there was not a certified tester in that state to meet Virginia’s requirements. The Virginia state legislature was talking about changing that a few years back. I haven’t heard if they did.

It can get complicated, not because of the federal government requirements. Those are basic and real simple. It’s because it does vary state by state. You are going to find what applies internal to your state by talking to people that manage that program in your state.

Back
Top Bottom