Questions about Raising Guineas

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hi, I was thinking about getting a guinea and had a few questions:
  1. Can I feed my guinea chicken layer feed?
  2. Are guinea compatable with chickens?
  3. Do guinea eggs taste wierd?
  4. Are they hardy even in below freezing environments?
  5. Do I need more than one or are my chickens good enough companions?
  6. Do guinea rip up gardens and woodchips like chickens do?
  7. Do guinea hens lay as much as a chicken?
  8. I've heard they like to just take off. How hard is it to train a guinea to stick around?
  9. Are males mean?
  10. Is a french guinea a good breed or is it an entirely different type of bird?
Thanks!!!

Hi, I was thinking about getting a guinea and had a few questions:
  8. I've heard they like to just take off. How hard is it to train a guinea to stick around?
  9. Are males mean?
  10. Is a french guinea a good breed or is it an entirely different type of bird?
Thanks!!!

First i recommend that you read through the following thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/312682/raising-guinea-fowl-101

That is okay for adult guineas as long as it is at least 16% protein. Keets need a much higher protein level than is available in chick starter. For Keets use turkey or gamebird starter.

Yes and no. Many people have no problems having chickens and guineas together and many people have a lot of problems with having guineas and chickens together. Some of the important factors are having enough guineas to satisfy their flock needs and whether or not the keets were raised with chickens.

Some people feel that guinea eggs to taste better than chicken eggs. No they do not taste weird.

Yes.

Ten is often recommended as the minimum number of guineas needed to satisfy their flock requirements. One is not a good number to have although their are people who have just a pair and seem to be successful at it.

No, guineas are not the diggers that chickens are. They may find items in your garden they really like and can do damage by eating those items whether or not you approve.

Guineas are seasonal layers and as such will not lay as much as do chickens. Depending on where you are located guineas can start laying as early as December but in the northern states the guineas are just now starting to lay eggs. When they are laying, they can lay an egg a day until they go broody and start setting on a clutch of eggs.

Keeping the guineas penned for a minimum of 6 weeks will teach them where home is. Treats can also be used to entice them to answer your calls and return to you. Many other tips are available in the Guinea Fowl 101 thread.

9. Are males mean?

Some can be.

A french guinea is a larger type of guinea that is typically raised as a meat bird.

Back
Top Bottom