Questions about raising Meal Worms

So, my bins have lots of now deceased beetles and deceased worms in lots of strata (about 4-5" deep) There are still some live beetles left. How long until I will see baby worms?? Seems like it has been a while now with nothing!!!

Hmmm..., you shouldn't see deceased worms. Maybe you're seeing shed exoskeletons? Are they black? What kind of substrate are you keeping them on and how often do you feed them vegetables/fruits? Take a a couple spoonfuls of substrate off the top and spread it on a piece of paper and look to see if you have very tiny worms. Waiting for that first generation can feel like an eternity.

Ok you are right, there some shed skeletons. A few black worms. I started with 8000 worms in several bins. They are bedded in 4 -5" of a blend of oat bran, wheat bran and oatmeal. Once a week they get either a slice of good quality bred, yam slices or apple slices. There is always food available for them. Everything was going as you all described until now. It has been SEVERAL weeks since beetles arrived. No mold/mildew or anything like that. And I did not start with the super worms as I read they are infertile. Thank you for you prompt reply! Environment of 70 degrees. Had a humidifier running until it died an unexplained death...

A few black ones is normal, especially in the first batch. You're probably better off without the humidifier. Everything else sounds good though. I might feed at least one additional day during the week. Do the spoon-check for tiny worms, you should see them now.

So, my bins have lots of now deceased beetles and deceased worms in lots of strata (about 4-5" deep) There are still some live beetles left. How long until I will see baby worms?? Seems like it has been a while now with nothing!!!

remember they start out very small indeed... a couple weeks from birth till a larger size for viewing. look for movement under the food and that will be your proof of life...so to speak.

Question- I tried to set up a mealworm farm and I got a ton of fruit flies. What? Anyone else have experience with this? There is NOTHING more I hate than fruit flies. Totally not worth it for me if I have to deal with those little suckers! HELP!

Question- I tried to set up a mealworm farm and I got a ton of fruit flies. What? Anyone else have experience with this? There is NOTHING more I hate than fruit flies. Totally not worth it for me if I have to deal with those little suckers! HELP!

What are you feeding them? Fruit flies can appear in the colony if there is too much moist fruit matter. Remove whatever moist material you have in there now. Then, try feeding them thin (1/8") slices of potatoes for a while.

What are you feeding them?  Fruit flies can appear in the colony if there is too much moist fruit matter.  Remove whatever moist material you have in there now.  Then, try feeding them thin (1/8") slices of potatoes for a while.  

also crank the heat up on the worms to 80-85 that will make the substrate dry and the flys wont like it

I was feeding them potaotes. But I just cut one in half and through it in there. They have oats and corn meal to live in. Honestly, yesterday I dumped the whole thing in with the chickens and let them have at it. I couldn't take the idea of more fruit flies. I will keep that in mind if I try again though. Thanks!

I was feeding them potaotes. But I just cut one in half and through it in there. They have oats and corn meal to live in. Honestly, yesterday I dumped the whole thing in with the chickens and let them have at it. I couldn't take the idea of more fruit flies. I will keep that in mind if I try again though. Thanks!

Yeah, that was the cause.

Back
Top Bottom