Questions about Red Sex Links

jjdward

How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
I picked up some red sex links from TSC a while back . They were selling them as straight run so after some quick research, I picked out the darkest ones. I do realize that the chicks are likely all different ages but I noticed that some of the chicks had bigger combs and wattles than the rest. They all have the same color and pattern which leads me to my question. Will the sex link rooster look different very early on? From pictures I have seen the rooster is mostly white. I figured if anybody would know, BYC would!

It's unusual for Red Sex Links to be sold as straight run since their gender is easily determined by color from hatching, but if they are really Red Sex Links, the females with be reddish colored (although the shade of redness can vary by quite a bit depending on which silver gene hens were used in the cross). If they are male Red Sex Links, the males will be whitish. You can see the color distinction between the males (left side) and the females (right side) in the pic below.
afi300.JPG

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/images/afi300.JPG

I thought it was odd too! But I took a chance and got the ones I thought were pullets. All of mind are a pretty rich red with a little black on their neck with very little or no white. I'm hoping the difference in comb development is just a difference in age. Hopefully my gamble paid off! lol

Anybody have any pictures of red sex links at say, 12-15 weeks?

Charlie, our Red Sex Link roo and Dora, just to Charlie's right, a Red Sex Link pullet, at about the age you wondered about. I got them as day olds, and both were kinda yellow. But Charlie was more of a whitish yellow and Dora, Beatrice and Ida were all a duller yellow with buff colored stripes on their backs. Does that help?

Closer shot of Charlie.

Well It does make me feel better because none of mine have any white at all. But they sure do have big combs and wattles though. Normally I can tell by their neck feathers but for some reason I'm not very confident lol. Thanks for the help!

Well It does make me feel better because none of mine have any white at all. But they sure do have big combs and wattles though. Normally I can tell by their neck feathers but for some reason I'm not very confident lol. Thanks for the help!

You're welcome.

Hmmm, no white at all? I thought Red Sex Links always had a little white in their feathering. Wonder if you got Production Reds instead....it's a mistake that happens a lot in farm and ranch stores. Happened to me last year.

Hmmm, no white at all? I thought Red Sex Links always had a little white in their feathering. Wonder if you got Production Reds instead....it's a mistake that happens a lot in farm and ranch stores. Happened to me last year.

I agree. It sounds like you have Production Reds rather than Red Sex Links. Every Red Sex Link pullet that I've ever had or ever personally seen has at least had white feathers in the tail.

Back
Top Bottom