Questions about runts and tail feathers

Winderdear

Crowing
Jun 16, 2023
Hi all! Just wondering about how healthy runts grow in comparison to other chicks of the same age. Can anyone please share their experience with me?

I have four chicks just over a week old. One is a rather small Dominique, but she is feathering out nearly as fast as the other girls, though just about half the size. I would have assumed that feather growth would be slower than the others too, and not just general growth in size. Basically, I thought she would get to the same size as the others when they developed feathers before she started getting her wings and tail in, but she’s still so small.

They're all standards and all different breeds, but I believe Dominiques are supposed to be as large if not larger at maturity than the Welsummer, and Silver and Blue Cuckoo Marans that arrived with her from the hatchery. I’m hoping she’ll end up as big as she should be eventually. My Blue Cuckoo has no tail yet, and the little Dominique has already started on her tail feathers, so in a way she's somewhat ahead of one of the bigger chicks… but perhaps comparing growth between different breeds is a silly thing to do. I don't know if she can be an accidental bantam, because the hatchery (Meyer Hatchery) doesn't seem to offer bantam Dominiques, but maybe bantams work differently than I imagine.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm brand new to chicken keeping and these are my first birds. They’re all sweet little darlings, and all seem healthy and happy. I have no worries, but am just really curious! Thanks in advance! 😊

2EF22847-FD7A-49BB-9D0C-E9A3ADF8CDF5.jpeg

63192BBB-43F7-471F-890B-5FE4ECAE7E4E.jpeg

D28BFDB7-4A35-43D3-98E0-FD7F11C9726C.jpeg

I've had a few that were slow to grow, one was a BA and ended up more petite and feminine than the other two who turned out completely massive, and others grew to be the same size as the others of their breed. As long as she's doing well, as you said, no worries. But there's not way to tell if she'll catch up in growth or not. If you want you could try getting her to eat a little scrambled eggs for a few days and see if that makes any growth difference. Don't give her a ton as you don't want to decrease the amount of chick feed she is eating as good feed is well balanced with all the nutrients in specific ratios.

On the tail feathers, I've had some slow to feather on their tails and they ended up being cockerels and others were pullets, could be genetics. Although, I don't think I've ever had a cockerel get tail feathers as fast as a pulet.

What feed are you using for them?

I've had a few that were slow to grow, one was a BA and ended up more petite and feminine than the other two who turned out completely massive, and others grew to be the same size as the others of their breed. As long as she's doing well, as you said, no worries. But there's not way to tell if she'll catch up in growth or not. If you want you could try getting her to eat a little scrambled eggs for a few days and see if that makes any growth difference. Don't give her a ton as you don't want to decrease the amount of chick feed she is eating as good feed is well balanced with all the nutrients in specific ratios.

On the tail feathers, I've had some slow to feather on their tails and they ended up being cockerels and others were pullets, could be genetics. Although, I don't think I've ever had a cockerel get tail feathers as fast as a pulet.

What feed are you using for them?
Thanks for replying! : )

I'm giving them Scratch and Peck starter feed. Now that they're 2 weeks old I've been taking them on field trips to their run, so their diets are varied a bit with whatever bugs or weeds/grass they find there. I do give them a daily treat of 1 organic thawed pea each (peeled and split in half, just in case they're too large). There are dried split peas in the feed, so I assume that's not going to upset the balance much if at all. They don't seem to like egg for some reason when I tried to give them some, but they certainly gobble up the peas with relish.

Is there anything to worry about if she turns out smaller than the others when they're full grown? Does your petite hen have any issues because of her size?

Welcome!
As mentioned, birds will grow at different rates, and may or may not turn out fine. Fast or slow feathering is not related to the sex of the chick unless their parents are selected to produce that trait. Otherwise it's random. Fast feathering is a positive as far as egg production goes though, according to older books about chickens.
Whole grain diets are often a problem, at least for some individuals, who will pick out the best tasting bits and not eat everything at the same rate. Also, the vitamin/ mineral mix is a powder that drifts to the bottom and isn't eaten as it needs to be.
If you want to feed this type of feed, at least wet it down so it mixes and all your birds must it all parts of it. Then it's more effort on your part daily so what's fed is fresh and not molding.
Why many of us feed a crumble diet instead!
Mary

Thanks for replying! : )

I'm giving them Scratch and Peck starter feed. Now that they're 2 weeks old I've been taking them on field trips to their run, so their diets are varied a bit with whatever bugs or weeds/grass they find there. I do give them a daily treat of 1 organic thawed pea each (peeled and split in half, just in case they're too large). There are dried split peas in the feed, so I assume that's not going to upset the balance much if at all. They don't seem to like egg for some reason when I tried to give them some, but they certainly gobble up the peas with relish.

Is there anything to worry about if she turns out smaller than the others when they're full grown? Does your petite hen have any issues because of her size?
Chickens are pretty random in all things, so size won't determine pecking order. I have a couple more petite chickens that are EEs and they are all low in the pecking order, my small Black Astraulorp is a total spit fire and holder her own. She's not top hen, but she doesn't take much from the other chickens.

So even if your chick does end up being a smaller hen, there's no telling how she will fit in the overall flock dynamics. There's a lot of "wait and see" with chickens 😃

We have a runt Black Australorp that feathered out as fast as the others but she stayed smaller than others her age and breed. Shes more leaner. Their just past 14 weeks old. And shes still a bit short and lean.

Welcome!
As mentioned, birds will grow at different rates, and may or may not turn out fine. Fast or slow feathering is not related to the sex of the chick unless their parents are selected to produce that trait. Otherwise it's random. Fast feathering is a positive as far as egg production goes though, according to older books about chickens.
Whole grain diets are often a problem, at least for some individuals, who will pick out the best tasting bits and not eat everything at the same rate. Also, the vitamin/ mineral mix is a powder that drifts to the bottom and isn't eaten as it needs to be.
If you want to feed this type of feed, at least wet it down so it mixes and all your birds must it all parts of it. Then it's more effort on your part daily so what's fed is fresh and not molding.
Why many of us feed a crumble diet instead!
Mary
Thank you so much, that's great advice on wetting the food! I will definitely give it a try and see if my girls will eat it. I had no idea that fast feathering might mean getting eggs sooner! I hope that's true in my case :)

Chickens are pretty random in all things, so size won't determine pecking order. I have a couple more petite chickens that are EEs and they are all low in the pecking order, my small Black Astraulorp is a total spit fire and holder her own. She's not top hen, but she doesn't take much from the other chickens.

So even if your chick does end up being a smaller hen, there's no telling how she will fit in the overall flock dynamics. There's a lot of "wait and see" with chickens 😃

I think my little Dominique will be like your Black Australorp. She doesn't back down or get cowed by the bigger chicks, and usually manages to steal whatever goodies they find. She also really loves being as high up as possible, and will perch on my head if she gets the chance. I've had pet birds before and to my knowledge the higher up they are, the more dominant they feel, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being the leader, even if she's tiny 😂

Back
Top Bottom