Questions about silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shellyb, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Hello, I have 7 silkie chicks that I have questions about. They are getting wing feathers but that's all so far. They will be 2 weeks on Monday. I also have 9 EE chicks and compared to the silkie's they are growing at a much larger pace. They are getting back feathers, tail feathers and have quite a bit of wing feathers already, same age. I'm sure the size is just because they are a smaller chicken but is the little wing growth ok? Some of them are growing wings faster then their siblings too. The feathers that are there are a bit surprising to me because they look like regular feathers almost. Not what I was expecting. This is my first time with silkie's. Is this normal for their age so far? Thanks

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    When my silkies were growing up, they did that. I think itsjust because they are a smaller chick and bantams tend to mature slower

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Silkies tend to grow feathers at a smaller pace.I have one 2 month old now and I thought for sure was gonna be a roo but now she is getting her stancy lil round head and puffy girly butt.I dont think my 4 adult roo's ever outgrew the spikey head's lol.I have a Showgirl also I would have thought hen for sure 5 months ago.Weeeeeee Medusa is a ROOO Gaaaaaaaa.Anyway I still love I call him just DUSA Now.I just hatched 2 newbie silkies this week not even gonna contemplate their sex.

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:fun times, huh? [​IMG]

5. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    the higher quality of the bird- the longer it takes to mature [​IMG]

6. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Didn't know that. Just wanted to add my silkies took way longer to develop than my other birds. They will fluff out all in due time. About the slower the maturing the higher quality birds, does that mean that the ones I got from tackle hatches are good quality then? They took forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by