Questions about staggered hatches and humidity

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Ok, I know I really shouldn't do this, but I have 1 bator with staggered hatches in it. I tried to make a hatcher with plans I found thru google, but it was either too hot (107 +) or too cold (-88). I was wondering if upping the humidity for the last few days on one hatch, will affect the next hatch? My hatches are usually a week apart. I have only had 2 successful hatches so far, my last only ended up with 1 fertile egg, and it didn't hatch.
Oh yeah, and when I do up the humidity, it is usually no higher than 60% at the most. I can't get it to go and stay any higher.

I have heard upping the humidity with eggs that arent ready to hatch in the incubator could do damage to them? I think there are people that do it though with no problems so I cant speak for everyone.

Have you thought of just adding extra humidity when they pip at the side of the first eggs then remove the sponge or container until the next hatch is due.

I think I would consider just keeping your eggs for 10-12 days and get the hatching equation in you incubator and with your hygrometer down really well before trying to stagger. You are not going to know what the problem is with your hatches if you don't have a base line of successful hatches to go on.

Your hygrometer could be off and thus the 60% reading may actually be higher. Once you are successful with hatching a group of eggs that are nice and healthy in 20-21 days and you keep track of the temperature readings and humidity readings, you will then know exactly what your settings should be.

Some people are successful in staggering hatches in the same incubator. The best way is to have your hatcher to put the 18 day eggs into with higher humidity. I did not have luck with using a water heater thermostat either but the lamp dimmer that you can buy from Lowes works very well.

I so far have had 3 different sets of eggs. The first two, well I guess all of them, had one egg that didn't hatch, except the last set only had one egg that was fertile (set 6 total, 5 from a standard cochin, whose eggs are only fertile about half the time), and it didn't hatch. I believe the humidity was too low on the last one, cuz the air sac was really big. I have only set eggs 3 times, for a total of 36 eggs. Out of those 36, I had 3 full term that did not hatch, 1 with a blood ring, 15 that were not fertile, and 17 live chicks. So out of 21 fertile eggs, I have 17 live babies. That is not so bad, I don't think. Going by the size of the air sac, if anything my hygrometer is reading higher than it should.
My question was if upping the humidity the last 3 days will affect the next eggs set to hatch, when it only gets up to 60% at the most?

Quote:
It could !!!!!!! I would only up the hum to about 55% !!!! What do you keep you hum at day 1- 18 ??? My last hatch was staggered and I had a 100% hatch rate (had to help 2 out) but they were only 1 day apart, since yours are a week or so apart I would up the hum (not over 55%) and then try to get it back down when those hatch in till the next hatch, unless you get/make another bator I think thats the best way to go !!! Good luck and please keep me updated !!!

It normally runs about 45%. It is a still air LG, and I cannot get it to go up very high. Usually the highest it gets is about 55%, but it can go up higher, just doesn't stay there. But I will keep you posted! I am still trying to tweak my homemade one, but no luck so far...

I agree my first hatch I thought my humidity was low, drowned several, eggs at the last few days seem most prone, earlier does not. I would try at day 18 and 19 maybe 50% or slightly less, then at most 55%. My best hatch rate my humidity was only 50%...but interestingly I had 3 pip in my incubator/turner and one hatch...which was exactly half of what hatched...humidity in incubator about 35-40%. The last 2 I had to help out in my hatcher (a hovabator) forced air. All 4 from the turner hatched quickly and are bigger at just less than a week than the other 4. So I'm not sure as I'm no expert but am achieving now about a 50% rate sometimes better sometimes worse on shipped eggs....based on number put in the bator (I don't count the cracked, but I do the infertile in my hatch rate....not my fault they broke....but if they did not develop could be non-fertile or USPS problem or my lack of skill.) If I discounted the quiters, infertile on my last hatch I hatched at 75%. but I got a used bator for hatching so much easier.

I have the same problem as you. Have staggered hatches and tried to make a homemade hatcher, but can't get the temps anywhere close to regulated. I am using a hot water heater thermostat and it stays off too long. Heat will get up to 104 then drop to 94 before it turns back on. I was thinking about leaving mine in and removing the turning trays on the ones ready to hatch. Today is day 14 on my first group so I'm running out of time!!! I have a real house thermostat somewhere, but I can't find it. I don't know how well that would work either. Part of my problem with the homemade incubator is that I don't have a fan in it yet. I got a PC fan from someone who said it work, but it did not work for me whn I wired it up. I don't think I wired it wrong. Anyway, debating between leaving both batches in the incubator, or breaking down and buting an LG still air for a hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom