Questions about the roost bar!

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
Hey everyone! So I’ve got a question and need a solution. Maybe two questions lol. Who am I kidding I’m full of them that’s why I’m here!

My first issue is my girls who are 8 weeks old at night don’t seem to want to go back in the coop from the run. My wife and I have had to put them in there since letting them out into the run which has been about 4 days so far. We have been trying to be pretty consistent about putting them in at the same time being around 1930-2000 each night.

The second issue is I have the nest boxes blocked off so they don’t sleep in them…but they don’t sleep on the roost bar but the “wall” I have blocking off the nest boxes. Any suggestions to my problems? (Pic below to show where they are sleeping)

As always thank you in advance!

31361511-03DA-4289-8F4B-0E7E8AA7CEA7.jpeg

You're funny, this is the place for questions!! So from the pic it looks like the plywood you're blocking nest boxes off with provides a higher than roost bar lovely place to roost (windows are often preferred for best light in coop.) Chickens will always look for the highest point to roost so just adjust it how ever you need to, to make the roost bar the highest point and problem will be solved. Cute Coop!! ENJOY!

I usually figure on 3 weeks to know for certain that every chicken will know how to go to bed. They naturally go to bed at sundown and begin looking for where to sleep. If I wait til it's dark, they've just got to be woken up and I'm sure they are confused as to why they've been disturbed from their slumber and chased around.

At dusk, I go down, chase them all inside, and lock the door. Each night, more of them figure it out. Most really have it figured out much sooner, but I've never had one go longer than 3 weeks. It's usually about 1 for most of them.

Put a light inside the coop that you either turn on or will come on before dark. As it gets dark, they should come inside toward the light. Sometimes you might have to still go out for a few days and stick them inside. Most need teaching unless they are following an existing flock.

You might also have to teach them where to sleep. When I move pullets to the coop, they all want to sleep on top of a nesting box near a window. For a week or two, I have to go out and move them to the roost. They usually get it and stop going to the other spot. I have had some that wanted to pile up in a corner instead of getting on the roost. Same thing, moved them each night for a week or so. Sometimes they just need teaching and sometimes it's because older chickens don't want them up there and peck at them. That will eventually work itself out too.

Oh also, this is just what I do to get them in the coop without fail. Chickens can't see in the dark. When the sun starts to go down they will for sure go to the coop if you're able to put a light in there? Then you go lock them up, you can see which is a bonus and then cut the light.
Ooooo smart on both posts! I didn’t think about how the ply sits higher than the bar! Well time to adjust that and try a light in the coop!

We have been trying to be pretty consistent about putting them in at the same time being around 1930-2000 each night.
Is it dark at that time? The signal for them to go to bed is that it gets dark. If it is not getting dark yet they don't know to go inside. They can't read a clock but they can read the sun.

With that big window it is unlikely that you need to put a light in there. They should be able to see where to go as it starts getting dark outside. Adding a light won't hurt and it might help.

The second issue is I have the nest boxes blocked off so they don’t sleep in them…but they don’t sleep on the roost bar but the “wall” I have blocking off the nest boxes. Any suggestions to my problems?
I think SRC nailed it, the plywood was higher than the roost. Personally I'd raise the roost so it is higher than the nests or anything else you don't want them roosting on. Then I'd open the nests and see where they want to sleep. They are only 8 weeks old so you have time, you can wait until they are sleeping on the roosts before you open them.

There are reasons I would want them open before they start to lay. One is that about a week before they start to lay many pullets start looking for a safe place to make a nest. I'd want them open when they start looking so they will consider your nests before they settle on some other place. I've had a few start to lay as young as 16 weeks, so you have time.

If they are going to sleep in the nests I would want to know in time that I can break them of that habit before I started getting poopy eggs. Usually if the roost is higher you don't have a problem with them sleeping in the nests but with living animals you don't get guarantees.

Also, if you find nest bedding and fake eggs scratched out on the coop floor it may be more than a sign they are looking for a nest site. It may mean you need to raise the lip on the nest to make it harder to scratch that stuff out.

Is it dark at that time? The signal for them to go to bed is that it gets dark. If it is not getting dark yet they don't know to go inside. They can't read a clock but they can read the sun.

With that big window it is unlikely that you need to put a light in there. They should be able to see where to go as it starts getting dark outside. Adding a light won't hurt and it might help.

I think SRC nailed it, the plywood was higher than the roost. Personally I'd raise the roost so it is higher than the nests or anything else you don't want them roosting on. Then I'd open the nests and see where they want to sleep. They are only 8 weeks old so you have time, you can wait until they are sleeping on the roosts before you open them.

There are reasons I would want them open before they start to lay. One is that about a week before they start to lay many pullets start looking for a safe place to make a nest. I'd want them open when they start looking so they will consider your nests before they settle on some other place. I've had a few start to lay as young as 16 weeks, so you have time.

If they are going to sleep in the nests I would want to know in time that I can break them of that habit before I started getting poopy eggs. Usually if the roost is higher you don't have a problem with them sleeping in the nests but with living animals you don't get guarantees.

Also, if you find nest bedding and fake eggs scratched out on the coop floor it may be more than a sign they are looking for a nest site. It may mean you need to raise the lip on the nest to make it harder to scratch that stuff out.
Yea it gets dark about that time.
Especially with there run being fully covered it is definetly a tiny bit darker in there. Plus where the coop is located it’s the spot of the yard that gets the sun off it first.

This was my solution for the issue.

Attachments

• 90FDEE97-0017-434A-AF33-52B8727517FD.jpeg
    90FDEE97-0017-434A-AF33-52B8727517FD.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom